Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
att1.html (7.2 K)

On Dec 31, 2013, at 11:01 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Fundamentally, the way this could be done is quite simple to articulate (though it will not be quite so simple to do/ get done in practice):
>
> Just put up the following 'Mission' (or 'sub-Mission'):
>
> "To progress effectively from the process of 'teaching arithmetic' and enable learners to understand 'theory building' (and to actually build effective theories as needed in their own minds)" (This would probably be a minor 'sub-Mission' to the 'Mission': "To develop an effective math educational system").
>
> - - and then learn how to put together (*integrate*) the great many good ideas that are already available out there amongst the stakeholders!
>
> AND, of course, ALSO learn how to get rid of the bad ideas that are also floating around: some of these bad ideas we have seen floating around right here at Math-teach - details can be provided, if required.
>
> Given some effective, practical tools needed to do all of the above-noted *integration* of good ideas (AND "getting rid of" bad ideas), this should really not take more than a couple of years to accomplish to the full satisfaction of all stakeholders! (This can be absolutely guaranteed; and it won't cost even a tiny fraction of all the HUGE time and money that are today being expended on improving 'math education', or STEM [or STEAM], or whatever).

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I am very anxious to review what you come up with.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]