Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Louis Talman posted Jan 1, 2014 9:18 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9353890):

> Nor do I see why Robert might disagree, because---by
> his own
> admission---he's only interested in the "mathy" kids,
> who are certainly
> ready for this discussion in 8th grade.

This also brings us to the following:

The 'mathy kids' of interest to Robert Hansen (RH) constitute, what?, 1%, 2% (certainly no more than 5%) of all the children in the educational system?

In which case no one who is interested in developing an effective educational system (as I am*) really needs to pay the least attention at this point to RH's ideas on the matter. Just continue work on developing an *effective* educational system (confident in the system understanding that an effective educational system for math will surely contain a 'sub-system' for the 'mathy kids').

Thank you, Professor Talman, for clarifying this to me (I always kind of knew it, but it needed to be brought home to me as you've done).

*In fact, I am particularly interested in trying to ensure that an effective math educational gets designed for India (as part of an effective educational system for this country). I intervene in these discussions here at Math-teach mainly because I am all too aware that we - and in particular the powers-that-be - in India pay considerable attention to what goes on in the USA: thus, any development or improvement that occurs in the USA is sure to get 'taken up' by the powers-that-be in India (sooner that it would be if it were to be brought to light by one of us at home). Thus, I do make special efforts try to get across to US citizens about the OPMS, as I believe that the path will be made much easier for me when the OPMS is accepted in the USA.

GSC

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]