Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

Anna Roys

Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
att1.html (3.9 K)

Robert,

Your definition seems to leave out the teacher... please consider the
following:

(2) Pedagogy - the art, science, or profession of teaching - retrieved
from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedagogy

QUESTION: Shouldn't the goal more than just having a mathematical
awareness?

Extending.....

(3) Perception - the way you think about or understand someone or
something - retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary

(4) Conception - the capacity, function, or process of forming or
understanding ideas or abstractions or their symbols - retrieved from
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary

I think words (3) and (4) fit better.

I am most interested in these two words, as I struggle to parse what it
really means to "learn" and how learning occurs. I would assert that
learning happens within each learner's mind, depending on his or her
engagement in the content. ( I am considering how much is filtered out
while students are being exposed to the content.) I would suggest that
learning cannot happen without students' desire to learn and that whatever
any pedagogy may offer is nearly useless without student motivation to
spark the learning.

Anna

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2013, at 2:41 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> More to the point -- your "proof" here isn't good enough.
> In your parenthetical "reasons" you are essentially assuming the usual law
> of signs. That doesn't pass muster if your goal is to prove that no other
> law of signs is possible.
>

> It?s a ?consistency? proof. Students in algebra do not yet have sufficient
> background to justify these things deeply with formal analysis.
>
> If I were to guess, you confuse the emotion[1] of math with its
> pedagogy[2].
>
> I claim that the pedagogy is universal, while the emotion is up to the
> individual.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
> [1]emotion - what you like about math, which varies from student to
> student.
>
> [2]pedagogy - how mathematical awareness builds in a student, any student.

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]