Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 2, 2014 5:18 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9354255), responding to Louis Talman (please do pardon me for sticking my oar in here):

<snip>

> Have you ever thought that maybe many of these
> teachers are simply not well aware of the
> progression? That their own personal experience with
> and knowledge of the progression is shaky at best.
> And then, because of crazy proclamations like
> algebra-for-all and social promotion, they find
> themselves and their students in a state of perpetual
> remediation. How are they ever supposed to more fully
> develop a sense for the progression and become better
> teachers?

Have you (RH) ever thought that the philosophy underlying your 'pedagogy of mathematics' - namely, that "Children must be PUSHED to learn math!" - is extremely shaky? That it is based on a complete and total misunderstanding of how human beings (and in particular, children) 'learn'?

That it is, in fact, the most utter rubbish?

I personally do not know how well those teachers are aware of your "progression". I would only suggest to all of them that they be properly aware that:

Children should be ENCOURAGED to learn (math; everything else)". If the ENCOURAGEMENT is effective, they will then learn how to PUSH themselves (and perhaps even to GOAD themselves) to work to overcome the great many difficulties and barriers that they will inevitably encounter throughout the progression of their learning.

GSC

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]