Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

On Jan 2, 2014, at 11:46 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Your meaning when you falsely claim

How can you say I falsely claim, if you don?t know my meaning?

> "OPMS is just list-making and nothing else!" (or words to that effect)
>
> isn't clear to me.
>
> What precisely do you mean by that?

First off, it was Haim?s masterful language skills that captured my impression of OPMS, not mine.

This rant of yours (calling us ?liars?) began 3 1/2 years ago -

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&threadID=2084346&messageID=7127799#7127799

What do you want me to say that hasn?t been said already?

I do not see the value, you claim, in OPMS. Describing OPMS as Haim did, as list-making and nothing else, captures that impression very well.

Later in that exchange, Haim suggests that maybe there is a cultural difference at work that causes you to call people, who?s opinions you disagree with, liars. He might have been half serious and half joking. Certainly, different cultures permit different levels of, how should I put it, excitement. Remember that incident in Iraq when someone threw a shoe at George Bush? Throwing a shoe at someone here will certainly get you arrested. And we our familiar with the occasional images of Indian parliament reduced to fisticuffs.

I work with and have worked with many Indians (is that the correct term?). Some can be passionate, especially before they become Americanized. But nothing to this extent (nor the parliament?s extent), and none of them have ever called me a liar just because I disagreed with them. And when I say passionate, I mean nothing lasting more than 30 minutes, and not heated. We see each other?s arguments and with no ability to prove either case, we accept that we enjoyed the exercise and move on.

I guess what I am trying to say is this -

This level of ?excitement? that you are showing is definitely not cultural.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]