Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Responding to Robert Hansen's (RH's) post dt. Jan 3, 2014 11:08 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9355217) - original post copied below my signature for ready refernce:

If someone needs to make a sound case for 'reforming the US educational system from ground up', the logical flow appearing in the post from RH copied below my signature should provide plenty of evidence that this is a VERY desperate need indeed.

Just one point for Robert Hansen: "America" is NOT the name of your nation. The name of your nation is "The United States of America", a.k.a. as "USA" or "US of A".

Please do check out the name of your country at ANY reliable source you want. Ask President Obama, if you wish. He'll confirm that the name of your nation is "The United States of America", a.k.a. as "USA" or "US of A" - NOT "America" (as you seem to be claiming it to be).

By the way, that's a truly fine word that I've always loved, "cockamamie", of which you got the spelling wrong (as you do so very often) - see http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-coc1.htm . Describes your 'pedagogical philosophy' ("Children must be PUSHED to learn math!") just so very perfectly.

I also REALLY, TRULY LOVE your "advice to the kiddies" that concludes your post. Cockamamie, indeed!

GSC

RH's post:
====
Robert Hansen posted Jan 3, 2014 11:08 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9355217):

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Louis Talman
> <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 16:59:16 -0700, Robert Hansen
> <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don?t know which is more weird, your position on
> OPMS or you telling 320 million Americans that they
> are not American.

> > You really aren't very good with language, are you.
> >
> > He didn't say that at all. What he said is that

> those 320 million Americans aren't the *only*
> Americans. The Canadians are Americans, as are the
> Mexicans. Those, of course, are the *North*
> Americans. There are also, the Costa Ricans, the
> Colombians, the Chileans, the Argentinians, and a
> host of others in Central and South America that I
> won't try to enumerate.
>
> Your argument is even more asinine than his. Which is
> a feat in itself.
>

> Here is what he said?
>
> "As you know "America" is a giant subcontinent mostly
> located in the northern hemisphere of our planet
> consisting of two large sub-continents, "North
> America" and "South America", each of which consists
> of over a dozen independent nations.?
>
> Entirely false. The continents of North and South
> America are collectively referred to as ?The
> Americas?. For obvious reasons, so as not to confuse
> them with the country known as ?America?.
> Individually, they are North America and South
> America.
>
> And this is where he says we are not ?Americans? -
>
> "However, many citizens of the US of A have become
> accustomed to assuming "America" = "US of A" and vice
> versa, and to referring to themselves as "Americans",
> entirely forgetting that Canadians and Cubans are
> also "Americans". Even Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez
> are as much "Americans" as is any citizen of the US
> of A.?
>
> He explicitly said that ?America? is not the name of
> our country, and when we use it that way, as in ?I am
> an American? to mean a citizen of America, we are
> wrong, not once, but twice. We are not Americans (as
> in citizens of the USA) nor are we citizens of
> America because according to his and now your
> cockamamy analysis, America is a continent comprised
> of two continents, and several islands.
>
> I can excuse GS. We all know what he?s been through.
> But you?
>
> I want to say to all the kiddies watching this
> channel. Do not be discouraged by Lou?s inability to
> see the substance of an argument if it isn?t spelled
> out in infinite formal detail. This is not the
> unavoidable result of formal mathematics. Even if
> formal mathematics might attract people with this
> characteristic, formal mathematics isn?t the cause of
> this characteristic.
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]