Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Responding to Robert Hansen's (RH's) post dt. Jan 3, 2014 12:20 PM - http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9355255 - copied below my signature for ready reference:

I had previously responded rather intemperately to this post of RH's, which response our Moderator rightly did not pass. Here is an attempt at a more moderate posting:

Allow me to tender my regrets for calling you (RH; and Haim) "liars" because you falsely stated that the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS), which I promote, is "list-making and nothing else".

The truth is as follows:

+++++++++
1. The OPMS is, I claim, a comprehensive systems aid to problem solving and decision, based on the seminal contributions of the late John N. Warfield to systems science.

The OPMS enables the (individual and group) user to do much more than ONLY "make lists" (as you and Haim have falsely claimed). It offers users facilities to help construct graphical representations of the 'mental models' users hold in their minds. These representations can be developed into effective Action Planning relating to any chosen Mission.

It is entirely your prerogative (and Haim's) to hold and express the opinion that you "do not see the value (claimed by me, GSC) in OPMS", as is stated in your post.

It is entirely your prerogative to try or not try the OPMS on any problem or issue (though, IMHO, any reasonably intelligent human being would try to find out about something before he/she passes judgment on it).

However, it is NOT your prerogative to make false statements about the OPMS (e.g., "the OPMS is only list-making, and nothing else" or words to that effect), which you've repeatedly done in attempts to bolster your incorrect arguments on a host of issues.

Those falsehoods on your part (and Haim's) led me to call you "liars", for which I here do sincerely apologise (and I shall sincerely try not to do so again, regardless of any falsehoods you may seek to spread).

2. In order to get people to try out the OPMS, which is based on a fresh approach to problem solving and decision making (entirely different from what's done in the 'conventional management approaches') I offer, entirely free of any charge, information about the OPMS process AND also copies of the OPMS software to all who wish to try it out on their problems and issues confronted. I also provide them (limited; but entirely free) guidance they may need to enable them to apply OPMS to problems and issues of interest to them. (In due course, there will be an OPMS website which will offer, freely, much more than the limited guidance I am able to provide directly).

It is entirely your prerogative not to try out the OPMS. But it is NOT your prerogative, RH, to suggest that I have "solicited funds" for the above-noted service (which you did in your post dt. Dec 24, 2013 10:45 [http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9349807]). The truth is that I have never "solicited funds" for this service.

Anyway, I do tender you my sincere regrets for having called you a "liar" because you wrote that (and other falsehoods) regarding "soliciting funds" and the like. That was certainly very rude (though truthful) of me.
+++++++++
I do hope and trust you will find more effective and fruitful ways than these ridiculous falsehoods in order to express your opinions on OPMS. (The OPMS does contain a number of weaknesses, about which I am all too aware - but your falsehoods do not bring those weaknesses to light at all).

You have stated:

> This level of "excitement" that you are showing is
> definitely not cultural.

Possibly not, though frankly I do not know what, if anything, you may be meaning.

GSC
("Still Shoveing! Not PUSHING!! Not GOADING!!!")
Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 3, 2014 12:20 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9355255):

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 11:46 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Your meaning when you falsely claim
>
> How can you say I falsely claim, if you don?t know my
> meaning?
>

> > "OPMS is just list-making and nothing else!" (or

> words to that effect)
> >
> > isn't clear to me.
> >
> > What precisely do you mean by that?

> First off, it was Haim?s masterful language skills
> that captured my impression of OPMS, not mine.
>
> This rant of yours (calling us ?liars?) began 3 1/2
> years ago -
>
> http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=206&thread
> ID=2084346&messageID=7127799#7127799
>
> What do you want me to say that hasn?t been said
> already?
>
> I do not see the value, you claim, in OPMS.
> Describing OPMS as Haim did, as list-making and
> nothing else, captures that impression very well.
>
> Later in that exchange, Haim suggests that maybe
> there is a cultural difference at work that causes
> you to call people, who?s opinions you disagree with,
> liars. He might have been half serious and half
> joking. Certainly, different cultures permit
> different levels of, how should I put it, excitement.
> Remember that incident in Iraq when someone threw a
> shoe at George Bush? Throwing a shoe at someone here
> will certainly get you arrested. And we our familiar
> with the occasional images of Indian parliament
> reduced to fisticuffs.
>
> I work with and have worked with many Indians (is
> that the correct term?). Some can be passionate,
> especially before they become Americanized. But
> nothing to this extent (nor the parliament?s extent),
> and none of them have ever called me a liar just
> because I disagreed with them. And when I say
> passionate, I mean nothing lasting more than 30
> minutes, and not heated. We see each other?s
> arguments and with no ability to prove either case,
> we accept that we enjoyed the exercise and move on.
>
> I guess what I am trying to say is this -
>
> This level of ?excitement? that you are showing is
> definitely not cultural.
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]