Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 4, 2014 8:57 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9356093) - GSC's remarks interspersed:

> On Jan 3, 2014, at 11:03 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Allow me to tender my regrets for calling you (RH;
> and Haim) "liars" because you falsely stated that the
> 'One Page Management System' (OPMS), which I promote,
> is "list-making and nothing else?.
>
> While ?falsely stated? is hardly a proper description
> of ?sincere? opinion, in the spirit of the apologetic
> tone of your post and the number of revisions I can
> only imagine it took for you to get it past the
> moderator?s inbox,

There was one revision only. I simply cut out the intemperate tone, and said exactly what I had to say - moderately, instead of intemperately.

>I?ll say this -
>
> I do not have any inclination left in me to harp on
> the possible success or failure of OPMS. I haven?t
> for years. I said all I had to say on the subject
> long ago. Nor do I have any inclination to comment
> when you discuss OPMS with others. In fact, I
> encourage it. I have fully expressed my view that it
> can?t work and you have fully expressed your?s that
> it can. All that is left now is to implement it and
> test those two views.

Indeed. That will surely be done and is being done.

> I absolutely do not want to be
> a hinderance to that. The only reason I am even
> commenting on it now is because of your persistent
> taunting and harassment. If you had not mentioned
> me, as you constantly do, in that post regarding
> OPMS, I would have never uttered a word. You must
> believe this. I do not hold grudges.
>
> In light of the new year, your olive branch of sorts,
> and with the sincerest desire to end this feud, here
> is the deal -
>
> If you will refrain from taunting and harassing me in
> posts not even related to any current discussion I am
> having, then I will refrain from commenting on OPMS.
> While not a condition of this deal, I should hope
> that you extend the same courtesy to the others you
> have treated likewise. I have no problem if you call
> me a flaming idiot in a current discussion. I also
> don?t have a problem if you hold a grudge (although
> you really shouldn?t). What I have a problem with is
> when that grudge turns into harassment.
>
> Cut out the harassment, and you won?t hear a peep
> from me again regarding OPMS.

A: You are free and welcome to state what you want about OPMS - just refrain from making false claims about it: i.e., don't falsely claim "OPMS is just list-making and nothing else" (words to that effect), as Haim and you have often falsely claimed: there is much in OPMS that does go way beyond that description of "list-making and nothing else".

In fact, every real deficiency that is brought to light in the OPMS concept (and its realisation by way of software; documentation, etc) helps me remove such deficiency.

You are entirely free to state your opinion that OPMS does not or will not work - that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to hold onto that for as long as you wish. It's my job to prove such opinion wrong, and, indeed, I'm engaged in doing just that. If you or others point out real deficiencies, that actually helps me very significantly improve OPMS by removing the deficiencies pointed out.

B: ALSO: kindly refrain from falsely claiming - as you certainly did* - that I have ever "solicited funds" for providing the prototype OPMS software to people who wanted to see it or test it out. (*For evidence of such false claim, please check out your post dt. Dec 24, 2013 10:45 AM [http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9349807] in the thread "Routes into teaching").

To the contrary, a fully-functional free version of OPMS will ALWAYS be available, even after OPMS is commercially launched (hopefully during 2014); my forthcoming OPMS website (also hopefully to come up during 2014) will always provide plenty of free guidance to help and enable users apply OPMS to their problems and issues of their concern.

> If you are unsure of what I mean by ?harassment?, I
> am more than willing to discuss it with you.
>
> Bob Hansen

Yes, I would like to know specifically what you mean by "harassment".

I would regard it as harassment if I have EVER made a false claim about you or your beliefs: if you can show me any instance where I have done that, I shall formally withdraw such false claim AND apologise for having made it.

I reserve my right to state my honest opinion about what I believe is any wrong ideas about education (and other societal issues) that may be promoted by you and your cohorts and consorts.

GSC

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]