Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Responding to RH's post (dt. Jan 3, 2014 11:08 AM, http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9355217 - the entire post pasted below my signature for ready reference):

As suggested by Lou Talman (Jan 3, 2014 10:45 PM, http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9355741), you do need to read more carefully (and thereby hopefully come to understand somewhat better).

I refer to just one of the points you have raised in high indignation:

> He explicitly said that ?America? is not the name of
> our country

Yes. I explicitly say so again.

The name of your country is

the "United States of America" (aka "USA" or "US of A"),

NOT

"America"!

It is true that many US citizens do often (loosely; colloquially) refer to the US of A as "America".

That does not cause the name of your country to become "America". It remains the "United States of America".

If you personally wish to rename your country, the "United States of America", as "America", do feel free - GO RIGHT AHEAD!

I personally don't have any objections at all - though it might fetch me a laugh or three.

Have you lately asked your President, Mr Barack Obama, whether the name of your country is "America" or the "United States of America"? I believe he would respond somewhat along the lines of Lou Talman's comment, to the following effect: "Well, the real name of our country is the 'United States of America', but colloquially - and for convenience - we do often refer to it as 'America'. (That awful fellow, GS Chandy, keeps poking sticks at us about it! SEND IN THE DRONES!!)".

[True enough, Mr Obama would be far more eloquent than I am able to be. Also, I believe Professor Talman would NOT ""Send In The Drones" after me].

About "Americans" (and some more about "America"):

By the way, as observed by Lou Talman, the late Hugo Chavez was just as much of an "American" as you are.

Is that what you wish? OK.

But I humbly submit that Hugo Chavez was the citizen of a nation, viz. "Venezuela", quite different from yours, viz., the "United States of America".

As you may know, Hugo Chavez was President of some nation in "America", OK, if you must, in "The Americas".

Was he then "President of America", or, "... of The Americas"?

I believe not; I think he was just "President of Venezuela".

Is Mr Obama "President of America"?

I believe not.

I think he proudly remains just the "President of the US of A" (commonly used acronym "POTUS").

But you're most welcome NOT to be a "citizen of the USA", but an "American" (instead?).

As an ardent believer in that elusive thing called 'democracy' [oft lauded but never achieved anywhere in the world thus far], I I vote to make RH "American!".

I seem to recall a famous song, by Bruce Springsteen, I believe, called:

"Born in the US of A!" (Or, maybe, "...USA!")

To the best of my knowledge, he did not sing, "Born in America!"

Or did he? You're The Expert.

Let's consider an analogy (of sorts; a rather loose one) from my country, "India".

There are quite a few Indians who feel that the old "British India" should never have been partitioned into "India" and "Pakistan", and sometimes they behave as though they believe that there is no such independent nation called "Pakistan". (We could, I guess, call this 'Indian Exceptionalism').

Some Pakistanis get rather indignant about this. But most Indians simply laugh at those "delusional characters" which is what we term them as when we do not wish to be rude and call them "crazy".

There are quite a few other errors in your post, but not to worry, that's RH.

GSC
Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 3, 2014 11:08 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9355217):
> On Jan 2, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Louis Talman
> <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 16:59:16 -0700, Robert Hansen
> <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don?t know which is more weird, your position on
> OPMS or you telling 320 million Americans that they
> are not American.

> > You really aren't very good with language, are you.
> >
> > He didn't say that at all. What he said is that

> those 320 million Americans aren't the *only*
> Americans. The Canadians are Americans, as are the
> Mexicans. Those, of course, are the *North*
> Americans. There are also, the Costa Ricans, the
> Colombians, the Chileans, the Argentinians, and a
> host of others in Central and South America that I
> won't try to enumerate.
>
> Your argument is even more asinine than his. Which is
> a feat in itself.
>

> Here is what he said?
>
> "As you know "America" is a giant subcontinent mostly
> located in the northern hemisphere of our planet
> consisting of two large sub-continents, "North
> America" and "South America", each of which consists
> of over a dozen independent nations.?
>
> Entirely false. The continents of North and South
> America are collectively referred to as ?The
> Americas?. For obvious reasons, so as not to confuse
> them with the country known as ?America?.
> Individually, they are North America and South
> America.
>
> And this is where he says we are not ?Americans? -
>
> "However, many citizens of the US of A have become
> accustomed to assuming "America" = "US of A" and vice
> versa, and to referring to themselves as "Americans",
> entirely forgetting that Canadians and Cubans are
> also "Americans". Even Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez
> are as much "Americans" as is any citizen of the US
> of A.?
>
> He explicitly said that ?America? is not the name of
> our country, and when we use it that way, as in ?I am
> an American? to mean a citizen of America, we are
> wrong, not once, but twice. We are not Americans (as
> in citizens of the USA) nor are we citizens of
> America because according to his and now your
> cockamamy analysis, America is a continent comprised
> of two continents, and several islands.
>
> I can excuse GS. We all know what he?s been through.
> But you?
>
> I want to say to all the kiddies watching this
> channel. Do not be discouraged by Lou?s inability to
> see the substance of an argument if it isn?t spelled
> out in infinite formal detail. This is not the
> unavoidable result of formal mathematics. Even if
> formal mathematics might attract people with this
> characteristic, formal mathematics isn?t the cause of
> this characteristic.
>
> Bob Hansen

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]