Topic: Validating Natural Language Statements (and Mathematical Propositions)
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 10, 2014 10:21 AM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: Validating Natural Language Statements (and Mathematical Propositions)

Peter Olcott <OCR4Screen> writes:

> On 1/9/2014 7:35 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Peter Olcott <OCR4Screen> writes:

>> <snip>

>>> I just answered it. In the case of the HP it depends on the
>>> frame-of-reference context
>>> that the sentence is being evaluated.

>> No, but you have now. Your previous remark was general, but if you
>> consider it to have been an answer, you are saying that it applies in
>> the case of my example. Anyway, we have an answer: "it depends on the
>> frame of reference".
>>
>> That's not true.

> Yes it is true.
>

>> It is true or false without any reference to anything
>> other than the meanings of the things in the question

> The meanings change depending upon who you ask.

No. The meanings of everything involved in the question is properly
specified. What is it that changes meaning? The enumeration that has
been written out formally? The definition of a Turing machine? My
example question has one and only one meaning.

And what has "who" got to do with it? Are you talking about asking
people halting questions? Of so you are not talking about the halting
problem.

>> -- the enumeration
>> used and the definition of a TM. Specifically (as you bring it up
>> later) there is no frame of reference where it has no correct answer or
>> where it is ill-defined.

> You still fail to comprehend this.

Here's an idea: tell me what it is that changes meaning so that the
answer is different or non-existent in some frames of reference. Just
start which what meaning changes. You don't even have to explain what
a frame of reference is -- I'll take it that such things matter in the
case of my example -- just say what changes meaning.

It can't be hard. The definition of a TM is only a few lines with words
like "set" and "tuple". The standard lexicographic ordering of tuples
that represent TMs is fussy to write down, but I don't think you'll find
anything there whose meaning is dependent on some frame of reference.
The definition is halting is also only a few lines. How does the
meaning of my example question end up with no correct answer in some
frames of reference?

<snip>
> Outside of the frame-of-reference of the potential halt decider the
> question has a correct Boolean answer.
> Inside the frame of reference of the potential halt decider neither
> true nor false is correct.

No. Tell me what meaning has changed. What alters so that there is no
correct answer?

<snip>
--
Ben.