Topic: ONE proof of God. Which One?
Replies: 57   Last Post: Jan 20, 2014 7:48 AM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?

Bart Goddard <goddardbe@netscape.net> writes:

> Dakota <markp@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in news:lap7t4$4ph$1@dont-email.me:
>

>> You made the claim that a few google searches support your suspicion
>> that the majority of atheists are especially embarrassed by the antics
>> of Bill Maher. Then you suggest we look for evidence to support your
>> claim? That's not how it works.

> Funny. That's exactly how it works. Since you're unlikely
> to trust my links and sources, I invite to discover something
> for yourself.

I think you are a sci.math regular so surely you would know not to try
to determine anything about the majority of atheists by searching the
web.

<snip>
> And to be clear, I'm not arguing this point at all. I
> just made the comment, parenthetically, that I assumed
> the atheist community was just as embarrassed about
> their buffoons as Christians are of ours.

Belief and non-belief are not symmetrical because one is active and
engaged and the other is (for the most part) passive. I image train
spotters feel allegiance to other train spotters and even to bus
spotters, but as a non-train spotter I don't align myself with other
people who don't spot trains. I don't cringe with embarrassment even
when a fellow non-train spotter says something silly or rude about train
spotters.

Maybe in the US, where atheists are something of a reviled group, there
is more of a tendency to "band together" and to worry about the image of
atheists as a group. I don't think that applies nearly so much in less
religious places.

<snip>
> But again, you don't have to believe me, and I sure don't
> care, but if you're curious, feel free to google away
> until your curiosity is satisfied. Or not. I have
> only one question on this thread, and none of you have
> attempted to answer it.

Well I will[1]: I am not embarrassed by what other atheists say. I
don't see them as speaking for me or reflecting my views.

You, however seem to operate a sort of stupid-by-association rule
("[t]hey make you look like a lot of Flat-Earthers"), but I think such
pronouncements are more harmful than useful.

[1] Actually I already did, but since I removed sci.math from the
newsgroups due to non-topicality I think you didn't see it.
--
Ben.

Date Subject Author
1/10/14
Read Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?
Ben Bacarisse
1/10/14
Read Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?
Bart Goddard
1/10/14
Read Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?
Christopher A. Lee
1/10/14
Read Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?
fom
1/10/14
Read mitch's take on "Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?"
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/11/14
Read Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?
Bart Goddard
[...]