Topic: ? 417 An implication of actual infinity
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 17, 2014 3:49 PM

Re: ? 417 An implication of actual infinity

In article <116a7d6f-b889-4db4-9242-f6b1de7b2adc@googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> On Friday, 17 January 2014 19:54:31 UTC+1, wpih...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, January 17, 2014 12:21:07 PM UTC-4, muec...@rz.fh-augsburg.de
> > > There is no infinite sum but, as you say, only the limit.
> >

> > Nope, by definition, the infinite sum *is* the limit.

> To put it in the correct way: What is written and looks like an infinite sum
> is not really a sum but a limit.

In proper mathematics, nothing prevents if from being both.

> > There is both a limit and an infinite sum, they
> >
> > are the same thing. However, you consider neither.

> For convergent sequences of partial sums I consider the limit like 1/9.
> But contrary to you I know

It ain't what you don't know that hurts you most, it's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain, who had WM pegged!