Topic: Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an
apology!

Replies: 15   Last Post: Jan 25, 2014 7:11 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!

Joe Niederberger posted Jan 21, 2014 6:03 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2616318) - GSC's remarks follow:

> Kirby Urner says:
> - -------------------------------------------
> Whether we call this Asian invention "Chinese" is
> optional, as our modern
> nation-state concepts are of recent vintage and the
> "race" concept is
> showing its age, on the way out I'm pretty sure.
>
> Those with contemporary impulses of rivalry and
> nationalism, team spirit
> ala the Olympics and such, tend to project their
> modern nation-state based
> thinking onto the distant past and play the same
> rivalry games among the
> ancestral dead-and-gone, kind of like that pastime of
> "mock baseball"
> wherein one makes up fictive teams.
> - -----------------------------------------
>
> So all that stuff about "God's Chosen People" and
> whatnot is of recent vintage would you say?
> Interesting...
> Ever hear of Last Thursdayism?
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

I believe this "stuff about God's Chosen People and whatnot" is NOT of such recent vintage. I believe that the followers of Moses believed something to that effect?

I know that long before that 'Aryan' people from beyond the Himalayas invaded what is now known as 'India', driving the earlier inhabitants into the forests etc - the 'engine' that motivated those invasions was that they (the Aryans) believed they were "God's Chosen People" and that the original inhabitants of these invaded lands were inferiors not blessed by God, and much other nonsense to that effect).

These "impulses of nationalism, team spirit" (not to mention racial superiority) have no doubt been enhanced and made much more sophisticated through 'developments of human thought and technology' of the 18th, 19th and 20th Centuries.

Didn't Hegel create a whole philosophical system to justify all such behaviour? Isn't all of Wagner's music a paean to such thinking? Hitler and the Nazi pogroms was, I believe, one such depravity that grew out of such developments of human thought. And then there was the philosophy that justified slavery in the USA (remnants of which seem to exist even today); there was the apartheid of South Africa; there are still various quite vicious social attitudes in India, etc, etc,... it goes on and on and on ...

I don't know what this "Last Thursdayism" might be: I'd be most grateful for some information about it.

GSC

Date Subject Author
1/16/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an
apology!
Jonathan Crabtree
1/17/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Robert Hansen
1/17/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Jonathan Crabtree
1/17/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
kirby urner
1/20/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Joe Niederberger
1/20/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
kirby urner
1/21/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Joe Niederberger
1/21/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
kirby urner
1/21/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Jonathan Crabtree
1/22/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Joe Niederberger
1/22/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Robert Hansen
1/21/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
GS Chandy
1/21/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Joe Niederberger
1/21/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
Joe Niederberger
1/25/14
Read Re: 300 BCE Chinese multiplication table. Nature owes India an apology!
GS Chandy
1/18/14