Topic: An attempt at a finite consistency thesis
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 24, 2014 9:14 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: An attempt at a finite consistency thesis

On 1/24/2014 3:18 PM, fom wrote:
> On 1/24/2014 4:51 AM, fom wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>

> I found a post this morning that makes it
> a somewhat easy to explain the analysis
> given at the top of the thread. In the
> link,
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/sci.math/0plz5618K4c/eoCyGg9Sa7IJ
>

> 'federation2005' describes axioms for
> ternary algebras for affine spaces over
> a field. The axioms fail for 2 element
> fields and 3 element fields.
>
> In the case of a 2 element field, he
> observes that vector spaces over 2
> element fields are Boolean rings.
>
> Now, by recognizing that the 16 basic
> Boolean functions relate to one another
> as a finite affine geometry and by
> using the Miracle Octad Generator to
> situate them, they became naturally
> organized as a finite vector space.
>
> This is important because Boolean rings
> satsify the usual algebraic axioms of
> ring theory. So, the analysis introduces
> a reduction to algebraic forms.
>
> As for the 3 element field, the projective
> planes of order 9 are built using the
> near-fields on 9 elements. The algebra of
> these near-fields are similar to the structure
> of the complex numbers in that they have
> real and imaginary components. The real
> components are comprised of the 3 element
> field, {-1, 0, 1}. 'federation2005' discusses
> this field in his post.
>
> The axiom which presents problems for
> 'federation2005' with respect to the
> 3 element field is A3 because the needed
> associativity law for the ternary algebras
> cannot be proven for that field.
>
> A1: [a, 0, b] = a
>
> A2: [a, 1, b] = b
>
> A3: [a, rt(1-t), [b, s, c]] = [[a, rt(1-s), b], t, [a, rs(1-t), c]].
>
> In describing his axioms, 'federation2005' describes
> the ternary product of the algebra with the
> parenthetical remark,
>
> "(to be thought of as the affine operation (1 - r)a + rb)"
>
> Anyone familiar with analysis know that this is
> an analytic expression for convexity.
>
> Now, Bolzano's proof of the intermediate value
> theorem relies on a fixed-point argument in
> an interval. Given that the Dedekind-Cantor
> program for an arithmetic of limits asserts
> an object identity for points, the resolution
> of the intermediate value theorem relies
> upon a 3 element system. This is where the
> logic and the algebra meet.
>
> Now, on my account of arithmetic using relations,
> the asserted identity associated with well-founded
> induction had been given through the axioms,
>

> ExEy( Az( x mdiv z ) /\ S(x,x,y) )
>

> AxAy( x = y <-> Au( Av( u mdiv v ) -> Ev( S(u,x,v) <-> S(u,y,v) ) ) ) )
>

> I have elsewhere noted Dana Scott's remarks on
> this view of natural numbers,
>
> http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2003-January/006087.html
>
> and have further noted that it is more closely
> related to Noetherian (well-founded) induction
> and the descending chain condition,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noetherian_induction
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noetherian_topological_space

> [...]

I'd hope I'd have a good comment for you. There is one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_constants_%28sorted_by_continued_fraction_representation%29

I expect you to make factual sense as you do.

Here, the, the Moebius function is a rather general transform in what it
preserves, then having unsigned data and with that. There is what
is preserved and what is not.

Then you describe general linear constructions of terms as counting.