Topic: A question about straight lines
Replies: 103   Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 8:28 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: A question about straight lines

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 31, 2014 11:25 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9376665) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On Jan 31, 2014, at 1:37 AM, Neighbor
> <piequals314@mail.ru> wrote:
>

> > If a beginner starts to learn math, the first
> > concepts he comes upon are very likely points and
> > lines. How should we explain to him these?

> Unfortunately, like any other art, You can?t really
> ?explain? math to anyone. Not like explaining how to
> bake a cake.
>
> You have to experience it.
>
> You can however, guide someone through the
> experience, if they are into it.
>
> Bob Hansen

Remarkably enough (perhaps even amazingly!), I am about 99% in agreement with RH in respect to his response noted above.

However, I do have a couple of questions:

How do you reconcile the above with your 'philosophy of teaching' which goes, as I understand it:

"Children must be PUSHED (or GOADED) to learn math!" (and presumably everything else).

Could you explain how your 'philosophy of teaching' (PUSHING or GOADING) may lead to the ideas expressed in your post above?

The above questions are put to you NOT with any intention of "poking you, or anyone else, with a stick", but merely to clarify, hopefully, the doubts that have arisen in my mind. As earlier explained, my own (rather significantly different) 'philosophy of teaching' may be expressed as follows:

"Children should be ENCOURAGED to learn (math; everything else). If this ENCOURAGEMENT is done effectively, they may learn how to PUSH themselves (or even to GOAD themselves) to overcome the many difficulties and barriers they will encounter during their learning".

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
1/26/14
Read A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/26/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
kirby urner
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Bishop, Wayne
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
kirby urner
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/27/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/28/14
[...]
Gary Tupper
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Louis Talman
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/28/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Bishop, Wayne
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Domenico Rosa
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Neighbor
1/29/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Domenico Rosa
1/30/14
[...]
Jonathan Crabtree
1/30/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/30/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
1/31/14
[...]
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
kirby urner
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
kirby urner
2/1/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
James Elander
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Joe Niederberger
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
Robert Hansen
2/2/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/4/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/4/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/4/14
Read Re: A question about straight lines
GS Chandy
2/8/14