Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Topic: Wm mis-explains what he means by a Binary Tree
Replies: 8   Last Post: Feb 7, 2014 2:54 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Jürgen R.

Posts: 343
Registered: 12/13/04
Re: Wm mis-explains what he means by a Binary Tree
Posted: Feb 6, 2014 1:15 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Am 06.02.2014 00:19, schrieb Ben Bacarisse:
> WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> writes:
>

>> Am Mittwoch, 5. Februar 2014 20:20:51 UTC+1 schrieb Ben Bacarisse:
>>> WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> writes:
>
> Oh you are now being very silly. The properties of a path defined by a
> supposed bijection can be argued about perfectly well. If f exists, it
> has a provable consequence -- that there is a path not in the image of
> f. I do not believe your students don't know this. You claim they
> don't just because you are stuck for any other answer.
>


I admire your patience but your task is hopeless. Perhaps this will help
clear up some misunderstandings:

Mückenheim is not a mathematician. He has a degree in physics and how
that came about is hard to imagine, but such things do happen.

Whenever he tries to bring an actual mathematical argument, instead of
his usual muddled ramblings, it becomes clear that he has no knowledge
whatsoever even of the areas where set theory plays a significant role,
e.g. topology and measure theory.

Most of Mückenheim's confusion can be reduced to his failure to
understand the elementary notion of convergence: For example, he
believes that it is a contradiction that the limit of a sequence fails
to have a property that each member of the sequence has. His favorite in
this context is the sequence of sets the form
S_n = {m in |N : n <= m < 2n}. He believes that it is a contradiction
that lim (card S_n) is not equal to card (lim S_n).

Mückenheim is not a professor at a university but a teacher at a
technical college, the "Fachhochschule Augsburg". This is not Augsburg
University, which also exists. His students are generally not qualified
to study at a real university and what he teaches would be called
"remedial math" at a U.S. college. He also teaches a course on "The
History of Infinity" based on the ludicrous set of powerpoint slides
that he frequently refers to.

The FH Augsburg has neither a mathematics nor a physics department.
Mückenheim's is in the "department of general studies".

If you want to convince yourself of his utter incompetence look at the
stuff that he has placed on arxiv.org. There you will find, among other
wonders, a proof that the reals are countable. It goes as follows:
Between any two rationals there is an irrational number and between any
two irrationals there is a rational number. Therefore there cannot be
more irrationals than rationals.




Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.