Topic: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Feb 10, 2014 11:45 AM

kirby urner

Re: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
att1.html (2.4 K)

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Todd Fuller <tfuller52@aol.com> wrote:

> Fellow high school math and/or AP Calculus and AP Stats teachers:
>
> What is you first reaction to:
> possibly being asked to teach AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, Math 2
> Honors, and Math 2 Standard next year?
>
> Is that too much?
>

> << snip >>
>
> I likely can't expect even a median level of salary. But I am interested
> in thoughts about overall course load from others.
>
> Thank you.

Hi Todd --

I hesitated in posting a reply as I'm not currently carrying such a load,
but in the past did carry Geometry through Calculus (high school) with
World History on the side, and an honors team taught course, experimental,
in the humanities. That sounds like a lot, but then what were the class
sizes and so on.

On the positive side, it adds to your resume to boost your repertoire like
that. If you were a musician, it's like showing off what gigs you can
handle. Pit orchestra? Chamber music hall? Jazz piano? I always felt
teaching was like being on stage a lot, though we had our classroom
techniques to mitigate that problem.

Were your goal to eventually jump to the private sector or other public
sector for awhile or try another line of work, having this expanded line of
courses could only be to your benefit. Take the long view.

Also, you mention Math 2 not having a textbook. I wonder if this
translates to more freedom to innovate on the part of the teachers, like in
the good old days or in mythical distant lands, where teachers still
planned their own lessons? I wasn't aware of a new brand called Math 2.

Kirby