Topic: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Feb 10, 2014 11:45 AM

kirby urner

Re: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
att1.html (4.0 K)

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net> wrote:

<< snip >>

> Hi Todd --
>
> I hesitated in posting a reply as I'm not currently carrying such a
> load, but in the past did carry Geometry through Calculus (high school)
> with World History on the side, and an honors team taught course,
> experimental, in the humanities. That sounds like a lot, but then what
> were the class sizes and so on.
>

> That would be a very, very long time ago, Kirby... from your online resume:
> *"1981 to 1983* *St. Dominic Academy*, Jersey City, NJ: Served as full
> time faculty member, teaching high school mathematics, geometry through
> calculus, in an ethnically diverse private Catholic academy for young
> women."

Yes, quite a long time ago, indeed. My teaching-of-teens did not end in
1983 however (I've taught mini-courses since, including recently) but it
never again took that same intensive form, on stage every day for hours at
a time.

Probably why I'm suggesting to Todd he take the long view and consider his
resume, perhaps even work in the private sector, is that's what I did (not
that St. Dominic wasn't "private sector" to begin with, being a private
school, but you know what I mean).

> That started a year after you graducated with a degree in Philosophy and
> apparently not even a minor (or the Princeton equivalent, a "certificate")
> in math or computer science. I'm not too sure one or possibly two years at
> a Catholic girls high school, without the minimum requirements for a
> secondary math teaching credential in most states allows you to shed much
> light on the subject for Todd, or anyone else.

Your naive belief that one's ability to shed light is commensurate with
some tightly measured quantity involving "degrees" and "certificates" must
vastly [over]-simplify your thinking about life in general. How wonderful
for you to not have to think too many complicated thoughts.

I didn't quite get how recounting your son's trajectory was meant to answer
Todd's question about his teaching load. I do see your familiar obsession
with who has a "minor" in what topic, a term not used at Princeton,
probably because of how it misleads people into too narrowly considering
their own liberal arts experience. Too many missed opportunities stem from
thinking with dumbed-down concepts.

No matter how much I'd learned at Princeton about computers or mathematics,
there've been innovations since, so any level or degree would not have
covered then what I later learned; the knowledge was simply not yet
available.

That's why it's important to disrupt the social picture that "education" is
put behind one in the first half of life and "work" or "a job" is what
occupies the second half (or middle third) of life. A better concept to
internalize is "work / study" and to consider that a life-long mode. We
all live in the Global U, working / studying.

Kirby