Topic: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Feb 10, 2014 11:45 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
att1.html (5.1 K)

On 02/09/2014 07:13 PM, kirby urner wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net
> <mailto:good@nccn.net>> wrote:
>
> << snip >>
>

>> Hi Todd --
>>
>> I hesitated in posting a reply as I'm not currently carrying such
>> a load, but in the past did carry Geometry through Calculus (high
>> school) with World History on the side, and an honors team taught
>> course, experimental, in the humanities. That sounds like a lot,
>> but then what were the class sizes and so on.

> That would be a very, very long time ago, Kirby... from your
> online resume:
> *"1981 to 1983* _St. Dominic Academy_, Jersey City, NJ: Served as
> full time faculty member, teaching high school mathematics,
> geometry through calculus, in an ethnically diverse private
> Catholic academy for young women."
>

> Yes, quite a long time ago, indeed. My teaching-of-teens did not end
> in 1983 however (I've taught mini-courses since, including recently)
> but it never again took that same intensive form, on stage every day
> for hours at a time.
>
> Probably why I'm suggesting to Todd he take the long view and consider
> his resume, perhaps even work in the private sector, is that's what I
> did (not that St. Dominic wasn't "private sector" to begin with, being
> a private school, but you know what I mean).
>
> That started a year after you graducated with a degree in
> Philosophy and apparently not even a minor (or the Princeton
> equivalent, a "certificate") in math or computer science. I'm not
> too sure one or possibly two years at a Catholic girls high
> school, without the minimum requirements for a secondary math
> teaching credential in most states allows you to shed much light
> on the subject for Todd, or anyone else.
>

> Your naive belief that one's ability to shed light is commensurate
> with some tightly measured quantity involving "degrees" and
> "certificates" must vastly [over]-simplify your thinking about life in
> general. How wonderful for you to not have to think too many
> complicated thoughts.

Nice stab at a purely personal attack, Kirby, but it remains true that
no public school in any state I know of would let you teach math at the
secondary level without some minimal evidence beyond your own rhetoric
that you have mastered the subject well enough to teach at that level.
That usually means some formal training and/or an exam.

You left that gig after what looks to be your second year, never again
in the three following decades to take charge of a regular high school
classroom. It takes a great deal of naiveté to think you were just too
good at it to continue.

-Greg