Topic: Re: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2
Standard?

Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Greg Goodknight

On 02/10/2014 09:16 AM, GS Chandy wrote:
> Greg Goodknight posted Feb 10, 2014 9:37 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9382450) [Responding to Kirby Urner]:
>> It takes a great deal of naiveté to think
>> you were just too
>> good at it to continue.
>>
>> -Greg
>>

> I guess it takes a high level of sophistication indeed (and no naiveté at all) to deal in slogans like the following:
>
> - -- "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (Haim, who is alas no longer with us);
>
> - -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (Wayne Bishop, inspired by Reid Lyon [Reading Research Expert]);
>
> - -- "Children must be PUSHED or GOADED to learn math!" [and presumably everything else] (Robert Hansen [RH], PERT expert).
>
> ???

My personal favorite is the statement by a past president of Harvard
describing his Graduate School of Education as a "kitten that ought to
be drowned."

Kids taking music lessons also need to be goaded into practicing their
scales which seems drudgery at the time but essential if they are to be
able to play their instrument well.

> (Conundrum posed entirely in a spirit of genuine inquiry, not with a view to "poke with a stick" or anything naughty of that sort).

There was no conundrum, and, of course, you were just being naughty.