Topic: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Replies: 26   Last Post: Feb 22, 2014 8:04 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak

None of what you listed is ?babble? in the context we are using the word. Joe is correct. The reason for the babble today is that everything is about politics and most political messages today would look downright stupid, unconstitutional and in some cases, even immoral, if stated plainly. One of the most precious lessons a young person can learn is that the world runs on politics and money, period. That realization alone can mean the difference between an actual life or just hanging on and sooner or later falling down a flight of stairs from which you never recover. There are forms of gobbledygook that only seem that way because the listener is not knowledgable in the subject area. Joe mentioned tech jargon. Another example is lawyer speak. But political gobbledygook is intentionally designed to hide the truth. I also point out much (WAY too much) education research follows this same pattern. The reason is simple. The world is about politics and money, period.

Bob Hansen

On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:43 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Joe Niederberger posted Feb 11, 2014 10:12 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9383263):
>>
>> I think the babble mentioned here is generally
>> symptomatic of the current age. It pervades almost
>> all realms of professional life, except for the truly
>> technical workers. Those workers tend to create
>> their own babble called "jargon" but it is
>> meaningful, amongst themselves. But as soon as one
>> gets a level or two "above" the actual working group,
>> amoeba words rule the day.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Joe N
>>

> Not necessarily "of the current age" only.
>
> Nonsense is in fact of very 'ancient vintage' indeed. Check out:
>
> - -- "Genesis" (The Holey Bubble);
>
> - -- "The Flat Earth Society" - http://www.biblicalnonsense.com/chapter7.html
>
> - -- "A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians", by Dr Jason Long - http://www.biblicalnonsense.com/
>
> - -- Phlyarology, the study of nonsense - http://pendantry.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/phlyarologist-a-definition/
>
> - -- "Ancient Nonsense", by Sarah Chiarini - http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/classics/research/projects/ancientnonsense/
>
> In India, we have sizable numbers of people (some of them very reputable people) claiming that all our ancient myths are our literal history, that is, that we had nuclear power, lasers, starships, warp-drives and such wonders way back in the times of the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, etc., etc, etc.
>
> There's plenty more available if you wish to explore "nonsense" in depth.
>
> And then, there's "economics", that 'dismal non-science' (which is not quite 'nonsense', but 'getting there' (more often than not).
>
> Of fairly recent vintage are the 'slogans' we have been seeing at Math-teach:
>
> - -- "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (Haim, who is alas no longer with us);
>
> - -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (Wayne Bishop, who took up Reid Lyon's slogan as his life's work);
>
> - -- "Children must be PUSHED or GOADED to learn math!" (and doubtless everything else) [Robert Hansen].
>
> [Note: The above is not written with any intention of "poking (anyone) with a stick", but only to add to our storehouse of nonsense and, hopefully, even of wisdom, (perhaps)].
>
> GSC

Date Subject Author
2/9/14
Read Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Domenico Rosa
2/10/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Robert Hansen
2/10/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Domenico Rosa
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Joe Niederberger
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/11/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Robert Hansen
2/12/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/14/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
Joe Niederberger
2/15/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/15/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
kirby urner
2/15/14
[...]
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
kirby urner
2/16/14
Read Re: Masters of psycho-babble and edu-speak
GS Chandy
2/22/14