Topic: Zero Powers
Replies: 20   Last Post: Feb 14, 2014 2:45 AM

K_h

Re: Zero Powers

"Shmuel (Seymour J.)Metz" wrote in message

In <F9GdnWm7r-UHAGfPnZ2dnUVZ5tednZ2d@giganews.com>, on 02/11/2014
at 02:00 PM, "K_h" <KHolmes@SX729.com> said:

> >Doing a physics problem the other day, the answer came out to be 0^i
>
> That depends on how and whether you define x^y for complex numbers,
> and what you do about the singularity. If you define x^y in terms of
> ln and exp then you need to worry about which branch you define the
> answer in. Be careful to ensure that the definition you use, and the
> path you use, make sense for the physics you're trying to do.

Thanks for the advice. This is a very thorny problem and I appreciate the
help that people have offered. What I was trying to do was to use the math
to make sense of the physics and figure out what domain the exact solution
works for. For a fixed t, the solution seems to work for x>(-1/B) and I was
really only concerned about the case at -1/B. If the -1/B case is a
singularity or undefined than that is the answer I was looking for. I just
wanted input from sci.math because various internet searches didn't yield
anything about o^i being an indeterminate form.

thx