Topic: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheology
Replies: 24   Last Post: Feb 22, 2014 5:23 PM

fom

Re: § 433 The reason for calling ma
theology matheology

On 2/20/2014 5:39 AM, mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Zeitgeist on the odds of my students to understand transfinite set theory:" if they can be convinced that what their senses tell them may be Not be the whole picture, then they may have a chance."
>
> Virgil, appearing as Wisely Non-Theist: "There are 'more' real numbers than there are finite definitions to define them with, so most reals can only be defined collectively, not individually."
>
> Ben Bacarrisse emphasized: "They are not 'entire undefinable'. The set of them can be defined." And he added: "You can know things about the set. For example, that it can't be bijected with N."
>
> William P. Hughes: "A subcollection of a listable collection may not be listable."
>
> Alan Smaill: "After all, since matheology accepts undefinable real numbers, then why are you trying to suggest that it does not accept undefinable enumerations?"
>
> That is true. I never got a grasp of this idea: Why should undefinable definable enumerations (aka lists) be exemptet from the list of unlisted exemptions?
>
> Regards, WM

In my other response, I tried
to reduce your question to the
epistemological concerns of
predicative mathematics.

On that account, the objects
that comprise a function must
exist prior to the definite
determination of the function
itself. So, either you have
incomplete definitions or
incomplete systems in which
the notion of definition cannot
exhause the possibilities and
there is something that cannot
be defined.

If one interprets your attempts
to place "all numbers" into the
list of finite numbers as a tacit
form of recognizing a system of
incomplete definitions in favor
of an incomplete system, then
your objections have some merit.
The problem is that you want to
have it both ways. That is not
possible.

Date Subject Author
2/20/14
Read § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheology
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling ma
theology matheology
fom
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/21/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/21/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/21/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling ma
theology matheology
fom
2/21/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/21/14
Read Re: � 433 The reason for calling WMytheology WMytheology
Virgil
2/21/14
Read Re: � 433 The reason for calling WMytheology WMytheology
Virgil
2/20/14
Read Re: � 433 The reason for calling WMytheology WMytheology
Virgil
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling ma
theology matheology
fom
2/20/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
Tucsondrew@me.com
2/21/14
Read Re: § 433 The reason for calling matheology matheol
ogy
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/21/14
Read Re: � 433 The reason for calling WMytheology WMytheology
Virgil
2/22/14