Topic: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Replies: 62   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014 10:17 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel

"John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 17:21:35 -0000, "Julio Di Egidio"
> <julio@diegidio.name> wrote:

<snip>
>>Indeed. To reiterate, mine was not an objection to the notion of 1-to-1
>>mappings, e.g. I have no qualms with the idea that there are as many even
>>natural numbers as there are natural numbers: both collections are simply
>>*endless*. It is the idea that the natural numbers form a set, i.e. a
>>complete totality that is, as I am contending, untenable.

> Why?
> I don't see the contradiction between "endless" and "set". Am I
> missing something?

Yes, quite simply the "i.e. a complete totality". But never mind: see
below.

<snip>
>>if we have 1, 2, 3,
>>etc. up to (allegedly) *all* natural numbers, there is just no natural
>>number missing that we can add to the lot.

> Y'know that *sounds* convincing, logically, in English and probably
> in many other natural, human languages, but a lot of things that
> *sound* convincing just are not.

Sometimes that's even true, but one thing is word salads, another is that
it's rather a pity that informal reasoning, which is no less rigorous than
the formal one, just requires much more solid logical foundations, has been
expunged from academia. But that's rather a problem with our educational
system, and even before that, of the general politics that want us dumb
executors of instructions rather than critical thinkers. But we get OT
here: if you are uncomfortable with informal reasoning, for whichever
reason, that's just fine for me, you are rather welcome to engage with the
more recent post of mine which did contain two mathematical statements in
apparent contradiction one another. See if you can find it...

Julio

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/22/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
fom
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read How to instantly spot a troll.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Roland Franzius
[...]
YBM
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
John
2/23/14
[...]
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
William Elliot
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Richard Tobin
2/23/14
[...]
David C. Ullrich
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
byron
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Peter Percival
2/24/14