Topic: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Replies: 62   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014 10:17 PM

Wizard-Of-Oz

Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel

"Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote in

> "Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote in message

>> slightly more rigorously, if we have 1, 2, 3, etc. up to (allegedly)
>> *all* natural numbers, there is just no natural number missing that
>> we can add to the lot.

> If, for all n, room n+1 is occupied already, the hotel is just full

Badly expressed, as your condition fails if the first room is unoccupied.

You should have said that for all n, room n is occupied.

> and no more guests can be accommodated.

That's where you're wrong when the hotel has infinite rooms

You can change the mapping from guests to rooms (ie shift the guests) and
fit in one more guest. In particular move the guest in room 1 to room 2,
the guest in room 2 to room 3 etc, thus makeing room 1 free for the new
guest

> If, conversely, the hotel is never fully occupied, there always exists
> n such that n+1 is not occupied.

Again, that fails as it ignores the possibility that the first room is not
occupied

You should have said that there exists an n such that room n is not
occupied.

> Either one or the other, but not both.

The problem is you assume 'fully occupied' means 'no more can be
accomodated'.

Although that is the case for a hotel with a finite number of rooms, we
cannot extend that to this hypothetical infinite hotel.

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/22/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
fom
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
[...]
Read How to instantly spot a troll.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Roland Franzius
[...]
YBM
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
John
2/23/14
[...]
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
William Elliot
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Richard Tobin
2/23/14
[...]
David C. Ullrich
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
byron
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Peter Percival
2/24/14