Topic: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Replies: 62   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014 10:17 PM

Wizard-Of-Oz

Re: How to instantly spot a troll.

John Gabriel <thenewcalculus@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Monday, 24 February 2014 07:32:58 UTC+2, Wizard-Of-Oz wrote:
>
> Troll: That is a very poor definition of 'occupied already'
>
> JG: As you can see, that is a typical troll statement: He claims it is
> a very poor definition but does NOT say why and offers no alternative.
> He has spammed my thread continuously with such fine "mathematics".

It is poor because it is eaily refuted. Room 0 can be empty and all
rooms after full, and the defintiion will fail.

Better would at least be that the hotel is fully occupied if for all
rooms r, room r is occupied

> Troll: That is a very poor definition of 'never fully occupied'
>
> JG: More of the same defecation.

It is poor for the same reason

Better would at least be that the hotel is not fully occupied if there
exists a room r such that room r is not occupied

> Troll: True, either for every room r, room r+1 is occupied OR-ELSE
> there exists a room r whene room r+1 is empty. not both.
>
> JG: Now he uses your very own argument to attempt a refutation.

No .. I was simply acknowledging that he is right that you cannot have
things he defined being true

> Troll: But it doesn't really matter, as your definition is poor.
>
> JG: Oops, that was not a refutation.

There is nothing to refute, it is simply a poor definition

> Troll: If you number each guest g, and put guest g in room r = 2^g,
> you have lots of unoccupied rooms, but every guest can be accomodated.
>

> JG: Lol. That is such bollocks, I almost fell off my chair from
> laughter.

I guess the truth does that to trolls like you

> Guest 1 is in room 2
> Guest 2 is in room 4
> Guest 3 is in room 8

That's right

> Somehow this deviant's "logic" led him to conclude that every guest
> can be accommodated (notice how the troll misspelled this word)

And yes, every guest can be accomodated that way

Spelling is irrelevant

> because now there are gaps between the guest rooms. Ha, ha!!!

You really have problem reading. The point is that every guest can be
accomodated AND there are still gaps between rooms

> <snip> Loads of crappola here!

Moron

> Troll: Infinities result in some unintuitive and unexpected outcomes.
>
> JG: You don't say?!! That's about the only coherent statement you've
> written thus far, you fucking moron!
>
> Troll: Things we assume is true for finite numbers of things do not
> hold true for infinities.
>
> JG: Did you mean "Things we assume *are* true for finite numbers " ?

Yes. that's what I meant

> He has probably heard his moron mathematics professor mumble this shit
> so many times, it has become second nature to the troll. It makes him
> sound erudite. Tsk, tsk. A troll is a troll is a troll.

Indeed you are

> Troll: Their behaviour is well studied, however, and makes for some
> fascinating (if not mind-blowing) reading :D
>
> JG: Indeed, mind-blowing! Ha, ha!
>
> Julio, I think you can see now what I mean by well-defined concepts
> and sound logic. :-)

They are what you lack.

You also lack an ability to comprehend.

How sad, little troll.

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/22/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
fom
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
[...]
Read How to instantly spot a troll.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Roland Franzius
[...]
YBM
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
John
2/23/14
[...]
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
William Elliot
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Richard Tobin
2/23/14
[...]
David C. Ullrich
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
byron
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Peter Percival
2/24/14