The Math Forum

Topic: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Replies: 231   Last Post: Mar 22, 2014 9:23 PM

Wizard-Of-Oz

Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.

John Gabriel <thenewcalculus@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Monday, 24 February 2014 20:41:47 UTC+2, Spac...@hotmail.com
> wrote:

>> this excerpt shows that you Rock cosmoS, and John is his own worst
>> trolL
>>

>> > And the same division by zero that you complained about above.
>> > Using

>> > limits avoids the actual division by zero, but you don't use
>> > limits, so

>> > it is a real problem for you.

>> > How do you determine a valid pair?

>> > What c? There was no mention of a c there.
>
> Let the endpoints of a parallel secant line on a function f be [c-m,
> f(c-m)] and [c+n, f(c+n)].
>
> The gradient of any such parallel secant line is given by:
>
> f'(c)= (f(c+n)-f(c-m))/(m+n) [A]

That is also the forlmula for a non-parallel secant line

There is nothing in that formula that forces it to be parallel.

f'(c) is then not the derivative of f at c, it is the slow of some
arbitrary secant at c.

Your labelling is dishonest and deliberately misleading

> Now, m+n divides f(c+n)-f(c-m) exactly, that is,

Define "exactly". Prove your assertion

> f'(c) = gradient(c) + Q(c,m,n) [B]

So it is the gradient plus some other number. So you are saying that
the derivative at c is not the same as the gradient at c.

> where gradient(c) is the expression of the gradient in terms of c
> only. Q(c,m,n)=0 in [B].

How do you know? It will depend on the value of m and n

So your method then is to try to divide and simplify (f(c+n)-f(c-m))/
(m+n) and then hope that all the terms in m and n can be grouped
together. And that those terms in m and n will end up as zero for some
m and n. And that what is left will be the gradient.

Where is your rigorous justification for such a simplification to always
be possible?

Where is your rigorous justification for the Q function to have 0 as a
possible value.

Where is your rigorous justification for the terms other than the Q
function to be the gradient at c.

Where is your rigorous justification for there to be no divisions by
zero when you subsitute values for c, m and n into Q.

> However, any (m,n) pair of any parallel
> secant line will satisfy Q(c,m,n)=0.

Where is your rigorous justification for Q being zero for secants
parallel to the gradient (slope or derivative) of f at c?.

> Moreover, the same (m,n) will
> produce the gradient regardless of whether [A] or [B] is used.

Where is your rigious justification for [A] to be able to be expressed
in form [B] for every function f?

> Let's do an example:
>
> f(x)=x^3.
>
> Suppose we want to find the derivative at x=3.
>
> f'(x) = { 3x^2(m+n) + 3x(n-m)(m+n)+(m^2 - mn + n^2)(m+n) } / (m+n)
> [A]

Only for SOME values of m and n

> f'(x) = 3x^2 + 3x(n-m)+m^2 - mn + n^2 [B]

Only for SOME values of m and n

> Or
>
> f'(x) = gradient(x) + Q(x,m,n) [C]

Only for SOME values of m and n

Where is your rigious justifications that the terms you get after you
groups terms in m and n as Q(x,m,n) will be the gradient?

> where gradient(x)=3x^2 and Q(x,m,n)= 3x(n-m)+m^2 - mn + n^2
>
> To find any valid pair, we use x=3 with either of m or n. So let's
> choose m=1.
>
> Then,
>
> Q(3,1,n)=3(3)(n-1)+(1)^2 - (1)n + n^2 = 9n-9+1-n+n^2=n^2+8n-8=0
>
> So, n=-4+2sqrt(6) or n=-4-2sqrt(6)

So you find m and n pairs by assuming the Q(x,m,n) will be zer, and then
assuming that the resultant secant will have the same slope as the f(x)
curve at x

2
> [B]
>
> f'(3)=27+9(-5+2sqrt(6))+1-(-4+2sqrt(6))+16-16sqrt(6)+24
>
> f'(3)=27-45+18sqrt(6)+5-2sqrt(6)+16-16sqrt(6)+24
>
> f'(3)=27-45+18sqrt(6)+5-2sqrt(6)+16-16sqrt(6)+24
>
> f'(3)=27 as expected.
>
> Of course you do not need to go through all this because
>
> f'(x) = gradient(x) + Q(x,m,n) = gradient(x)
>
> So, that's how you can find any valid (m,n) pair you like.

There is no point in finding m and n, if you are simply deliberately
chosing m and n that make Q(x,m,n) = 0 and then substituting those m and
n into Q(x,m,n) to get 0.

So you method is, get a formula for the slope of any secant, and express
its endpoints as offsets from c (m and n). You simplify the expression
and hope that you end up with a term not involving the offset and
another term that do involved the offsets. Then you hope that the first
term is actually the gradient and that the second term can give a value
of zero for some values or m and n. And you hope that there is no
division be zero in either term.

And all that is supposed to be rigorous? Where is your rigorous proofs
that each of the assumption or hopes in the above is valid?

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
[...]
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
[...]
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Art Hopkins
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Space time and the universe (STATU).
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Giddy Armstrong
2/24/14
[...]
YBM
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Roland Franzius
2/26/14
[...]
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read the story of number (what is the canonical representation of
base-one, not "hashmarks [Roman numeralS
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
Peter Percival
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
fom
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read "skwaring the cyrcle
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/3/14
[...]
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/8/14
Read base-zero for fun (but not infinite series
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/10/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Mutt Buncher
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Virgil
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read geometry for ... folks (ratios in constructive [synthetic geometry
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/13/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/22/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Al Bundy
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Tom Traubert
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
fom
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
PianoMan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Harman Kardan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
[...]
Read Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
sceptic
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Sal Honda
3/1/14
Read Bourbaki did iT
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/1/14
Read Re: Bourbaki did iT
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Gabriel's Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/3/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers. - still useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Peter Percival
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Major Doctor
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/6/14
Read The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/7/14
[...]
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Hoofington P. McSnort
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/11/14
Read hrea
Brian Q. Hutchings