Topic: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Replies: 62   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014 10:17 PM

Wizard-Of-Oz

Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel

"Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote in

> "Wizard-Of-Oz" <somewhere@over-the-rainbow.com> wrote in message

>> "Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote in

>>> "Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote in message

>>> If, for all n, room n+1 is occupied already, the hotel is just full

>> Badly expressed, as your condition fails if the first room is
>> unoccupied.

> I had assumed some context, pardon my naiveté: but even conceding the
> nitpick, the argument does not fail, one single room available is just
> not enough to salvage our hotel.

It requires no salvaging

>> You should have said that for all n, room n is occupied.
>
> No, it's rather fundamental to the implied inductive argument that one
> talks of a situation at n+1 as a consequence of a situation at n...
> Never mind, you have a point: I will try and rewrite it more
> rigorously.

OK

>>> and no more guests can be accommodated.
>>
>> That's where you're wrong when the hotel has infinite rooms

> <snip>
>
> That's rather where you start paraphrasing the usual thesis with no
> argument at all.

It is very simple to map guests to rooms. There are many ways of doing
this. One at least results in there being no room left unoccupied. But
not all mapping require that every room has a guest.

So simply changing the mapping (ie reassigning which guest is given
which room) can allow for as many vacancies as you like .. even an
infinite number of them

Is there something about the above with which you disagree?

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/22/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Virgil
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
fom
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
[...]
Read How to instantly spot a troll.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: How to instantly spot a troll.
Roland Franzius
[...]
YBM
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
John
2/23/14
[...]
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
LudovicoVan
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
William Elliot
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Richard Tobin
2/23/14
[...]
David C. Ullrich
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
byron
2/24/14
Read Re: The self-contradictory infinite hotel
Peter Percival
2/24/14