The Math Forum

Topic: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Replies: 231   Last Post: Mar 22, 2014 9:23 PM

John Gabriel

Re: New Calculus for Dummies.

On Friday, February 28, 2014 5:04:08 PM UTC+2, dull...@sprynet.com wrote:

> Whee! You need to use the power series for this? Wow.

Nope. I didn't have to. I could have used the Gabriel Polynomial which is finite, but most of you have never seen it. There is no problem using a power series.

> See, I thought the point was the New Calculus was going to avoid
> limits. How in the world do you make sense of a power series
> without limits.

Very easily. In most cases, you NEVER know the limit of the sine series. It's always an approximation. The limit is not required at all in calculus. In fact, It has no place in calculus.

> Heh, a better question. You seem to think that 1 is not equal to
> 0.999...

I *know* it's not equal to 1. There's no doubt about that. Not a single proof exists to support the fallacy besides Euler's blunder (defining the limit to be the infinite sum, even when there is no such thing as an infinite sum).

> Now, saying 1 = 0.999... is the same as saying that
> 1 is equal to a certain infinite series:
> (*) 1 = .9 + .09 + ... .

That's not true. It was defined that way. That's the only support for the assertion.

> You have problems with (*), but the much more sophisticated
> series
> (**) sin(x) = x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! ...
> is no problem?

I do not accept infinite series. The above series is NOT infinite. There is no such thing as an infinite series. Everything I need to know about the series is contained in the first three terms. :-) Nothing infinite about it!

> Seems to me that whatever reason you have for saying that 0.999... does not equal 1 exactly should also say that x - x^3/x! + ... does not equal sin(x) exactly.

I'd say that's an accurate assessment! :-)

> What's the diifference?

None.

Any power series is always an approximation. Unless of course there are other methods of determining the series given a particular value.

The New Calculus does not use limits, infinity or infinitesimals in any shape or form.

The power series that you saw used in the derivation happens to equal to 0 because all the terms except for the first term contain the factor m+n.

While you can do this with 0, you can't do it with any other value.

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
[...]
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
[...]
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Art Hopkins
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Space time and the universe (STATU).
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Giddy Armstrong
2/24/14
[...]
YBM
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Roland Franzius
2/26/14
[...]
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read the story of number (what is the canonical representation of
base-one, not "hashmarks [Roman numeralS
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
Peter Percival
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
fom
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read "skwaring the cyrcle
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/3/14
[...]
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/8/14
Read base-zero for fun (but not infinite series
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/10/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Mutt Buncher
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Virgil
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read geometry for ... folks (ratios in constructive [synthetic geometry
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/13/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/22/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Al Bundy
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Tom Traubert
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
fom
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
PianoMan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Harman Kardan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
[...]
Read Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
sceptic
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Sal Honda
3/1/14
Read Bourbaki did iT
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/1/14
Read Re: Bourbaki did iT
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Gabriel's Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/3/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers. - still useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Peter Percival
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Major Doctor
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/6/14
Read The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/7/14
[...]
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Hoofington P. McSnort
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/11/14
Read hrea
Brian Q. Hutchings