Topic: integral for fun
Replies: 25   Last Post: Mar 6, 2014 4:10 PM

Richard Fateman

Re: integral for fun

On 2/28/2014 1:00 PM, Axel Vogt wrote:
> On 28.02.2014 18:55, Axel Vogt wrote:
>> On 28.02.2014 15:32, Jonas Matuzas wrote:
>>> I wrote integral in Mathematica:
>>> Integrate[Cos[x]^4/(1 + x^8), {x, -\[Infinity], \[Infinity]}]

The free program Maxima computes this integral (a mess) in 2.68 seconds
on my 7 year old computer. Evaluating it to a 40-digit precison number
gives appx
1.138911319801756364346365520822589787737 plus an imaginary part that
seems to be about one unit in the last place of the computation...
which can be recomputed to a higher precision to check.

This agrees with the NIntegrate from Mathematica version 9
to about 13 digits.

RJF