Topic: integral for fun
Replies: 25   Last Post: Mar 6, 2014 4:10 PM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: integral for fun

On 3/1/2014 1:57 PM, Axel Vogt wrote:
> On 01.03.2014 17:30, Richard Fateman wrote:
>

>> Maxima's residue methods are described in a PhD thesis by Paul S H. Wang
>> at MIT.

> Would you mind to provide a link (or similar) for that thesis ?
> I can not find it, Wang is a quite widespread name.

http://publications.csail.mit.edu/lcs/pubs/pdf/MIT-LCS-TR-092.pdf

was written before the days of Latex :)

"A heuristic computer program for the evaluation of real
definite integrals of elementary functions is described. This
program, called WANDERER (WANgls DEfinite integRal EvaluatoR),
evaluates many proper and improper integrals. The improper
integrals may have a finite or infinite range of integration.
Evaluation by contour integration and residue theory is among
the methods used. A program called DELIMITER (DEfinitive LIMIT
EvaluatoR) is used for the limit computations needed in evaluating
some definite integrals. DELIMITER is a heuristic program
written for computing limits of real or complex analytic functions.
For real functions of a real variable, one-sided as well
as two-sided limits can be computed. WANDERER and DELIMITER have
been implemented in the MACSYMA system, a symbolic and algebraic
manipulation system being developed at Project MAC, MIT. A typical
problem in appl ied mathematics, namely asymptotic analysis of
a definite integral, is solved using MACSYMA to demonstrate the
usefulness of such a system and the facilities provided by
WANDERER."

Worldcat entry:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/evaluation-of-definite-integrals-by-symbolic-manipulation/oclc/637960884?referer=di&ht=edition

Thesis/dissertation