Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (3.7 K)

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> Kirby:

> >I'd say the mathematical concept of "a function" plays a similar
> integrating role in helping us think more reliably in mathematical terms.
>
> Well, yes, but I'd say the arguments about side-effects are more than just
> religion -- the "side effects" issue is precisely about how one reasons
> about a program.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

In terms of connecting the math.function concept to STEM more generally,
I'm wanting students to contemplate LaPlace's notion that "now" is the
domain, while "a moment from now" is the range, and "the function" is
basically "the rules stuff follows".

His view was deterministic: given now: Verb(now) -> now (a moment later).

http://www.informationphilosopher.com/freedom/laplaces_demon.html

As we've already talked about, the math.function concept is only loosely
connected with causality i.e. random pairings of set members with set
members may be "without rhyme or reason".

I'm not seeking to hijack that mathematical concept. On the contrary, we
need it for contrast, as it were, versus a machine-like causal take,
reinforced by those function-as-machine metaphors.

On paper, this stuff is notational, sure, like music is notational, but
really we're talking about "lived experience" in some dimension.

I go there because I want to reattach these abstruse concepts to an
everyday reverie one could call "philosophical" but which is really
"mnemonically rich" i.e. your daydreams will feed your technical knowledge
base and vice-versa.

http://coffeeshopsnet.blogspot.com/2010/04/smart-bar-lcds.html
(re andragogy)

In the same vein, a "program" in the computational sense is not that
different from a "programme" in the televised sense: a program delivered to
viewer-agents of a reprogrammable design.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/get-with-the-programme/

Now that concurrent programming is in vogue, I see even more convergence,
of multi-process programming with multi-track media editing and
composition. And given version control e.g. Github, software development
is already more concurrent (multi-track) than it ever used to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program
http://sce.uhcl.edu/helm/rationalunifiedprocess/process/workflow/ana_desi/co_cncry.htm

The point being that Verb(now) -> now involves massively parallel
processing. We can leverage that fact to help drive home the narrower /
more specialized STEM concepts in whatever namespaces.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/1/14
Read Structured Programming
[...]
[...]