Topic: integral for fun
Replies: 25   Last Post: Mar 6, 2014 4:10 PM

Waldek Hebisch

Re: integral for fun

On Friday, February 28, 2014 11:33:56 PM UTC-5, Richard Fateman wrote:
> I don't consider a solution that includes
> Si, Ci, or hypergeometric functions as a solution
> in closed form in terms of elementary functions.
>
> Unless there is no way of expressing the answer in
> terms of elementary functions.
>
> After all, you could always decide that the
> difficult integral in question deserves its own
> name, say FooI, and then return the answer in terms
> of FooI.

_Indefinite_ integral above can not be done using elementary
functions. For such integral 'li' and 'Ei' play the same
as logarithms. 'Ci' and 'Si' are similar to 'atan'.
As long as CAS can compute needed limits at infinity computing
indefinite integral in terms of special functions
is valid method of computing definite integral.
And it is much more general than methods based on
residue theorem.

Waldek Hebisch