Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (4.9 K)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net> wrote:

> On 03/01/2014 07:39 PM, kirby urner wrote:
>

>> <sermon type="to the choir">
>>
>> I'm really impressed how far we've come in
>> becoming so CS-friendly here on math-teach
>> in just a short time.
>>

> A variation on an old joke:
> Q: How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
> A: One to screw it in, nine to stand around and claim how much better they
> could do it.
>
> We've come no distance at all, Kirb. Two guys are trading insults with a
> couple others adding to it, taking sides. All of the commenters appear to
> have more CS experience than you. It didn't leak into math-teach because,
> other than Kirby Urner, no one is trying to pour CS into K-12 math.

You might have missed where RH and I shook hands over using a book like
'Mathematics for the Digital Age' with high schoolers past algebra
already. That was the plan all along. Take some algebra (Al Jabr) first
but get an extra boost by finding a CS-friendly flavor if you can.
Supplement if you must (talking to parents here too).

I've been helping layman readers apply criteria to help decide if an
algebra text is going to encourage exploring these wider horizons, or if
it's all heads-down practicing to become a computer oneself.

What it got down to is RH wondered if fine points of instance versus class
methods could be distilled in a way that didn't bog down. Or do we need to
care about such fine points?

The Vector and Fraction objects I introduced have only a class blueprint
and instance-selves. That's an idea from everyday thinking: the Human
form or ideal (idealized / stylized) and then all the actual instances of
human beings, the ones with selves.

We'd use the same notation to describe both

class Human:

giving birth to each human. And:

class Fraction

gives birth to each fraction.

>>> from fractions import Fraction
>>> q1 = Fraction(5,9)
>>> q2 = Fraction(11,12)
>>> q1 + q2

Fraction(53, 36)
>>> q1 * q2
Fraction(55, 108)

Not much different from using a calculator at this point, but we get to
read source code, which is different. Euclid's Method for the GCD is
introduced.

Vectors etc.

> What a wealth of experience!

>> Who knew?
>>

> I think the rest of us knew, but Kirby Urner was too wrapped up in his own
> view that he didn't imagine there were a number of people here with more CS
> knowledge and experience.
>
> -Greg

I doubt you had anything close to so much resume / autobio on any of these
guys prior to my CS-friendliness thread.

So far you seem to be the only one saying we should have nothing like
CS-friendly math for math credit in the high schools.

Your reasoning (?) seems to be there's no time for it if they plan to learn
much calculus before college -- which didn't used to be the goal in Dom
Rosa's student days i.e. this calculus-before-college meme is a
johnny-come-lately to high schools anyway -- which might be why its
partisans are so insecure and over-reactive in the face of this CS-enabled
challenge to a monopolistic hegemony?

I'd like more spherical trig on tap myself. Whaddya say? Shouldn't we do
more to enrich the high school culture? It's so piss poor from what I can
tell.

My own high schools were overseas and really good, but my one semester in
Florida was a real eye-opener as to what USA kids put up with. Why should
only the best of the best get to use 'Mathematics for the Digital Age'?

Plus CS-friendly doesn't mean Calculus unfriendly, whoever said that it
did? We just might have some different techniques, for teaching about the
Polynomial object, for example.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/1/14
[...]
[...]