Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (3.6 K)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> >You might have missed where RH and I shook hands over using a book like
> 'Mathematics for the Digital Age' with high schoolers past algebra already.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty funny. And here I'm all hanging out there saying kids
> should learn to program in grade school, logic should be introduced in
> grade school (but not as math or in math.) Wondering whether to post things
> like:
>
> http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/computers/blogs/should-all-kids-be-taught-to-code

The age-range discussion is important yet sometimes muted in these
threads. The tendency to romanticize and celebrate the precocious child,
the prodigy, gets in the way of sobriety sometimes. Some kids become
international chess masters before the age of 15, but most don't. Most are
not violin prodigies either.

We don't want to take role models two or three sigmas out (standard
deviation talk) as the standard. These kids are "deviants" (in a
statistical sense) and will be served, should be, by niche e-toyz like
Squeak.

I had a 2.5 day meeting with Alan Kay (Smalltalk and Squeak pioneer) and
assorted others in the ed reform biz in London that time, a guest of the
Shuttleworth Foundation.

Guido van Rossum was there too, not just because of Python, but because of
CP4E: Computer Programming for Everybody, a DARPA-funded initiative he
wrote, sharing a vision much like the one above.

Looking at high school and its curriculum as it is, and at teachers where
they are, I see this Software Association of Oregon plan to carve out
CS-enabled for-math-credit classes not as an attempt to pander to prodigies,
but to rescue refugees from the standard diet of traditional / conventional
fare (not CS-friendly, most of it, as it's mostly unchanged from
pre-computer days).

The courses are elective, add freedoms, give students another way to
fulfill math requirements.

Whereas "IB Math" and "AP Math" both connote "ahead of the curve", "CS
Math" might just connote "workaday digital stuff" that's neither especially
advanced nor cutting edge.

Signing up for such a course is not advertising to the world that you think
you're smarter than average. It's more like those ads for the military
where they show the cool toys you'll get to play with (presumably -- bait
and switch is not unheard of), average beings welcome.

No genius credentials will be checked at the door.

Kirby

> Bringing up HoTT topics like:
> http://homotopytypetheory.org/book/
>
> Imagining a world where all mathematicians routinely do all their work in
> machine readable form and work collaboratively off github. Russel' dream
> realized.
>
> Oh well, the breeze is nice.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

[...]
[...]