Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (2.7 K)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> Kirby says:
> >The age-range discussion is important yet sometimes muted in these
> threads. The tendency to romanticize and celebrate the precocious child,
> the prodigy, gets in the way of sobriety sometimes. Some kids become
> international chess masters before the age of 15, but most don't. Most are
> not violin prodigies either.
>
> Kirby:

> >We don't want to take role models two or three sigmas out (standard
> deviation talk) as the standard. These kids are "deviants" (in a
> statistical sense) and will be served, should be, by niche e-toyz like
> Squeak.
>

> WOW! - so, if a kid can learn to program Mindstorms or whatever he's on
> the level of chess master or violin prodigy. I never knew...

I wouldn't imagine a single ranking... anyway it's more "I wouldn't expect
nor demand of a kid to devote hours and hours...." because (big secret)
precocious kids have to practice too, almost always. They see it's
attainable and want the outcome, that's the difference (seeing light at the
end of the tunnel is a huge motivator).

Where would you rank this athletic-mental sport, Japanese style mental
arithmetic contests where the inputs go by so fast you might think it's an
American debating tournament? Is a prodigy in this arena "more than" (>)
or "less than" (<) a violin prodigy? Who's to say, right?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2012/oct/29/mathematics

The "no need for programming before you're a teenager" school of thought is
not all about letting Johnny be a dummy. It's more about Johnny learning
gross motor skills like not falling off mountains.

All e-Sports and no muscle stuff a big gumby doth make. If Johnny knows a
lot of Python but never once tried to ride a bicycle... not meaning to be
sexist always picking on Johnny, sorry.

Kirby

Cheers,
> Joe N

[...]
[...]