Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (3.3 K)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> I can't see "CS for all" not meeting the same fate.

Again I underline the elective nature of these courses, but with an
in-the-background switch flipped: you get a feather in your math cap, and
you only need three to get that high school diploma.

I'll be the first to admit that mine are special case circumstances
pertaining to the Republic of Cascadia (not it's real name) and I'm not
pretending for a moment that "my reforms" should or will sweep the nation
or the great nations beyond.

My case is based on regional trends and data, more than aspiring to resolve
issues of empire (wherever / whatever).

Like, if you think kids in Florida don't want or need Digital Math, maybe
that's because you have a good read on the situation. I think I have a
better read on what's happening around here.

> I don't see how you can treat these subjects properly without there being
> an elective process. I would be singing a different tune if most jobs
> required algebra or coding, but very few do. I would also be more swayed if
> there were "introductory" courses, meant to give the kids a taste (and
> please, anything but legos), and then an elective program thereafter. But
> any "X for all" is bound to do more harm than good.

"Elective" and "selective" are different. I'm recruiting for these classes
precisely because they're optional.

At the other end of the spectrum is Algebra, which most schools consider
mandatory and that's a windmill I might just leave standing -- just make it
"CS-friendly" is my only plea (many parents are on board -- objectively
that's not "all in my head").

> As I said, I don't think people realize just how hard it is in public
> school today to choose a *real* math path. It isn't like in our day where
> only the college bound students took these courses and the courses were
> pretty much the same all over. Now they are placing every kid in these
> courses, regardless of prior course success and the quality of the courses
> ranges from crap to good.
>
> Bob Hansen

From my point of view, staying home would be the better option for over
50%, given averages, but that leaves huge numbers benefiting -- plus "home"
is theoretical in so many ways (when we almost had that teachers' strike,
the daycare function was to be continued, while all content-teaching would
be sacrificed ("bring a good book")).

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/1/14
[...]
[...]