Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (2.3 K)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> >Where would your rank this athletic-mental sport, Japanese style mental
> arithmetic contests where the inputs go by so fast you might think it's an
> American debating tournament? Is a prodigy in this arena "more than" (>) or
> "less than" (<) a violin prodigy? Who's to say, right?
>
> Frankly I see no relevance to anything I said. But, can we throw spelling
> bees in the mix?
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

As I was saying, I see "prodigies" everywhere. They deviate from the
norm. Two sigmas or whatever. We needn't link "CS friendly" to just
meeting the needs of these special ed cases, though I'm happy to recruit
from many ranges.

The reason we don't need to "teach calculus to five year olds" (a perennial
theme, makes little hearts go pitter pat) is five-year-olds have more
pressing business to attend to at that tender age.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/03/5-year-olds-can-learn-calculus/284124/

(out of fairness to Maria, she's an integrationist like me, and just
happens to pick up on the public hype around calculus, more power to her)

I'm tired of seeing all good ideas for improving high school math derailed
by romantics who want to pander to little Johnny and his privileged little
darling peers.

Funds get diverted and before you know it, only the high property tax area
schools have anything remotely CS-enabled, even though Oregon presumably
doesn't play favorites in that way (anymore -- how the game is rigged used
to be more blatantly obvious).

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/1/14
[...]
[...]