The Math Forum

Topic: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Replies: 231   Last Post: Mar 22, 2014 9:23 PM

thenewcalculus@gmail.com

Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.

On Tuesday, 4 March 2014 16:09:32 UTC+2, Peter Percival wrote:
> John Gabriel wrote:

> Is magnitude a mathematical thing?

It all depends on what you mean by a "mathematical thing". Ideas do not belong only to mathematics, but to all knowledge.

> Because if so I would hesitate to define it as an idea of any kind.

There is no other way to define it except as an idea or concept.

> Mathematical thing seem to have a life of their own: so if I add the "ideas" 2 and 3 I get the "idea" 5, and so do you.

2 and 3 are not ideas. They are symbols for rational numbers. In this case natural numbers. These are the reification of the measurement of magnitudes.
A magnitude can refer to a line distance or mass or volume or any other concept requiring measure.

> How is that possible? Then there is Wigner's
> "unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in the natural sciences".
> Whatever mathematical things are (and don't ask me, I haven't a clue)
> they seem to be rather more than just ideas.

Everything starts off with an idea.

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
[...]
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
[...]
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Art Hopkins
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Space time and the universe (STATU).
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Giddy Armstrong
2/24/14
[...]
YBM
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Roland Franzius
2/26/14
[...]
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read the story of number (what is the canonical representation of
base-one, not "hashmarks [Roman numeralS
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
Peter Percival
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
fom
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read "skwaring the cyrcle
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/3/14
[...]
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/8/14
Read base-zero for fun (but not infinite series
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/10/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Mutt Buncher
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Virgil
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read geometry for ... folks (ratios in constructive [synthetic geometry
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/13/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/22/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Al Bundy
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Tom Traubert
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
fom
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
PianoMan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Harman Kardan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
[...]
Read Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
sceptic
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Sal Honda
3/1/14
Read Bourbaki did iT
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/1/14
Read Re: Bourbaki did iT
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Gabriel's Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/3/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers. - still useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Peter Percival
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Major Doctor
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/6/14
Read The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/7/14
[...]
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Hoofington P. McSnort
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/11/14
Read hrea
Brian Q. Hutchings