The Math Forum

Topic: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Replies: 231   Last Post: Mar 22, 2014 9:23 PM

Karl-Olav Nyberg

Re: New Calculus for Dummies.

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:14:20 PM UTC+1, John Gabriel wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 March 2014 19:42:29 UTC+2, dull...@sprynet.com wrote:
>

> > >The first 3 terms is how I know the general term.
>
> > What??? That's not a proof. Not even close.
>

> I didn't call it a proof. I said that it is how I know the general term. I asked you how you can know the general term in any other way, but so far, you've not said anything. Therefore, I take it you don't know of another way. :-)
>

> > Look. Here's a simple example. Say R is the set of all rationals r
>
> > with r > 0 and r^2 > 2. Say L is the set of all rationals r with
>
> > r < 0 or r^2 < 2. Then the pair (L, R) is a Dedekind cut.
>

> Bullshit. L=(-oo,sqrt(2)) and R=[sqrt(2), oo) => (L,R) is a Dedekind cut.
>

> Now sonny, take a look at L and R. The limit of L is in R.
>

> > If we're taking Dedekind cuts as our definition of the reals
>
> > then (L,R) _is_ a real number.
>

> Crap. (L,R) is a union of two sets with an element that is indeterminate except as an approximation, that is, sqrt(2). There is nothing "real" about it. Sqrt(2) is an incommensurable magnitude, not a number. :-)
>

> > Read that again. The pair (L,R) _is_ a real number. Literally.
>

> Read what I wrote again. :-) What you wrote is garbage.
>

> > Nothing there about limits.
>

> You're obviously deluded. :-) See above.
>

> > Nothing there about some number that trapped between L and R. If there _were_ something in the definition about a number trapped between L and R then you'd be perfectly justiified in being skeptical about why we should believe such a number exiists.
>

> But of course I am perfectly justified. :-) There is no number trapped between L and R. It is the delusional thinking of mediocre mathematicians called Dedekind and Cauchy. :-)
>

> Try as hard as you like, you have not been able to refute anything at the following link:
>

> http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/math/4507-0-999-equal-one-317.html#post21409
>

> It is the nightmare of all your mathematics professors and educators who thought they knew... except they really don't know much at all. :-)
>

> > But there's no such mystery involved. (L, R) is a real number.
>

> There sure is a mystery to any logical mind. (L, R) is anti-mathematical hogwash.
>

> > Period.
>

> Says who? :-)

Hi.

Can you show that sin(x) = sin(x) from the first term of the Taylor polynom? From the second? From the third? And so on? Who told you that the Taylor polynom for sin(x) is what it is? There are some need of knowing what sin(x) is before you can evaluate the Taylor polynom or for that matter the Taylor series.

KON

Date Subject Author
2/22/14
Read John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
[...]
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
[...]
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/25/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Art Hopkins
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Dirk Van de moortel
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/23/14
Read Space time and the universe (STATU).
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/24/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Giddy Armstrong
2/24/14
[...]
YBM
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Roland Franzius
2/26/14
[...]
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Inverse 18 Mathematics
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read the story of number (what is the canonical representation of
base-one, not "hashmarks [Roman numeralS
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
Peter Percival
2/28/14
Read Re: 'rithmetical (trivial
fom
2/28/14
Read 'rithmetical (trivial
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/2/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
John Gabriel
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/3/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/5/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/6/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read "skwaring the cyrcle
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/3/14
[...]
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/8/14
Read base-zero for fun (but not infinite series
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/10/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Mutt Buncher
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Virgil
3/8/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Peter Percival
3/12/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/12/14
Read geometry for ... folks (ratios in constructive [synthetic geometry
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
David C. Ullrich
3/13/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/13/14
Read calculi
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/22/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Al Bundy
3/9/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Tom Traubert
3/1/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
fom
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
PianoMan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/28/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Harman Kardan
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
Ross Donglemeier
2/27/14
Read Re: New Calculus for Dummies.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/26/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
2/27/14
Read Re: What you had to know in mathematics but your educators could not tell you.
[...]
Read Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
sceptic
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: Construction of rational numbers and arithmetic axioms.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Sal Honda
3/1/14
Read Bourbaki did iT
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/1/14
Read Re: Bourbaki did iT
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/1/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Karl-Olav Nyberg
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
John Gabriel
3/2/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Gabriel's Polynomial
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/2/14
Read Re: How New Ideas and Knowledge are often treated.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: The Gabriel Polynomial - One of the many great features in the New Calculus.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/2/14
Read Re: Gabriel's Polynomial - absolutely useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/3/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers. - still useless
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Peter Percival
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/4/14
Read Re: Construction of Rational Numbers.
Major Doctor
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/5/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: True knowledge or Cantor's Fools Paradise, which?
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/6/14
Read The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/6/14
Read Re: The first and only rigorous formulation of calculus in human history.
Dirk Van de moortel
3/6/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/7/14
[...]
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Hoofington P. McSnort
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
thenewcalculus@gmail.com
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Wizard-Of-Oz
3/11/14
Read Re: John Gabriel's Thread on Mathematics.
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/11/14
Read hrea
Brian Q. Hutchings