Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 69   Last Post: Mar 7, 2014 7:18 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (2.8 K)

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> >If we're going to talk about the mathematical basis for languages,
> especially those of the FP species, then lambda calculus is a starting
> point. Alonso Church etc.
>
> Yes of course. It should've been mentioned. Do you want to teach FP in
> schools too?
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Not my role to micro-manage content too much, once permissions are secured
to pioneer these alternative courses while preserving accreditation along
with the right to continue meting out high school diplomas or the
equivalent.

Python has some constructs that are nominally functional:

Interactively:

>>> specimens = [27,37,47,9,99,51] # buncha numbers
>>> output = filter( lambda n: n % 3 == 0, specimens ) # keep only those

divisible by 3 w/ no remainder
>>> list(output)
[27, 9, 99, 51]

What I don't want is for obstructionists to use the "OOP / FP divide" to
frustrate the boom in new curriculum development, by deliberately bogging
it down in some "religious war" of the Cyberian type i.e. an abstruse
culture war over matters esoteric.

That being said, I don't mind if we "teach the controversy" as the
intelligent design camp has promulgated.

The economy adopting these reforms gets to invest in teacher training, math
lab design, and adult education more generally (the curriculum is "dual
purpose" you might say in that it has adult retraining / community college
friendly elements).

Such an economic flurry means lots of interesting work and might take off
outside Cascadia as well -- I keep thinking South Africa for various
reasons, with TuxLabs prototypical of our math labs.

Remember my goal (shared by many) is to boost the percentage of people
already living here savvy enough to staff the Silicon Forest openings for
which openings most talent is currently recruited from elsewhere.

Better prospects for locals, within an already-existing high tech sector is
a goal shared by many development-minded types, both here in Cascadia, and
abroad, in other lands.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/1/14
[...]
[...]