Topic: Re: Structured Programming
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 11, 2014 5:00 PM

Watch Watch this User
Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (4.5 K)

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 7:25 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> > My goal is to change the law to where math credit is available to
> students who take courses such as those using the Litvins' text and a
> gazillion other texts that will materialize in response to the opening
> floodgates to this "new kind of math course".
> You mean something like Florida's current bill?

Yes, exactly.

> (d) Courses in computer programming language, such that 1 credit, at the
> discretion of the local district school board, may satisfy 1 credit in
> physical education which is required for high school graduation.

Computer programming as PE? That seems a bit weird.

Don't ask me how 3D printing got in there. I am picturing a group of shady
> Department of Education insiders forming a shady front of a 3D printer
> distribution company whose only client is the Department of Education.
> Bob Hansen

Yeah, interesting. Thanks for sharing that bill. I wonder what other
states have something similar in the docket?

I hope that all students in the U.S. will soon have access to computer
science classes in high school. We encourage other states to make computer
science count as a math or science credit, just like Washington did
yesterday, and Georgia, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma,
Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas and Virginia have done before.

15 May 2013 11:50 AM

Posted by Brad Smith
General Counsel & Executive Vice President, Legal & Corporate Affairs,

[ what a horribly formatted page in FireFox at least -- must be for IE
people only? ]

So does this mean Oregon has *already* cleared these courses for math
credit it seems. Talk about barking at shadows.

Perhaps my work is done here then, as far has being a high powered lobbyist
is concerned?

Or is the Oregon law just about "making AP computer science count as a math
or science course in our state's high schools".

That's too limited in scope, making CS-enabled math have to be AP and/or

Confirming Oregon requires 3 years of math as of 2010:

More study needed, of the specifics....

Table B1 in this report has Computer Math 1 and Computer Math 2, both given
really short descriptions in connection with algebra, with no mention of

Anyway, it's clear we're discussing a trend.

Things are moving in the right direction at least.