Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Structured Programming

Lou Talman posted Mar 7, 2014 11:14 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9406857) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 21:31:00 -0700, Robert Hansen
> <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

> > It seems the only way towards that end is to do
> precisely what I have
> > been doing. Write more.
>
> There is a great deal of truth in this.
>
> But you need to read more, too. Both in quality and
> quantity.
>
> But the central part of precise writing is precise
> thinking---not just
> about what you write, but about what you read, as
> well.
>
> - --Louis A. Talman

Indeed.

Reference your remarks copied above, I have not very long ago posted an abbreviated 'prose version' of some useful structural graphics on the issue of 'intellectual laziness' and 'clarity in communication' - and the possible linkages of such factors to 'excellence in s/w programming'. (At this time, it has not yet yet appeared).

(I do hope it will be passed by our Moderators, as it does, I believe, to an extent elucidate some of the issues being discussed at this thread. I do not find a copy of what I had written; I try herewith to provide some parts of the prose version of my 'mental model' on the issue).

"'Sloppy thinking' STRONGLY CONTRIBUTES TO 'sloppy communication', which in turn PROBABLY CONTRIBUTES TO 'sloppiness in s/w programming'" (Earlier, had written "Slopply s/w programming" - have discovered that 'sloppy programming' is a technical term for a particular programming style or method).

"'Effective thinking' SHOULD CONTRIBUTE TO 'clear and correct writing', which in turn SHOULD CONTRIBUTE TO 'excellent s/w programming'".

[My models on the underlying issue of this thread ('structured programming') have just been initiated, so there is every likelihood that what I write now may be worded quite differently from what I had written earlier. (However, I believe the 'underlying message' of what I had written earlier probably will not change much)].

Meanwhile (for Joe Niederberger), I've downloaded the book "Homotopy Type Theory: Univalent Foundations of Mathematics" (http://hottheory.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/hott-online-611-ga1a258c.pdf), and I hope to use it for some modeling in the future. It seems to be nearly 500 pages in length, so it will for sure take a while: if you've written up notes/ comments/ review on reading the book, I would be most grateful if you could let me look at them.

Moreover, I'm extremely busy lining up some potential financiers for my OPMS project - so most of my time and effort will be devoted to that work.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
[...]
[...]
[...]