Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (4.1 K)

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I'm a believer in wagging the tail, not the dog, and
> > see elementary school
> > as the tail in this case.
> >
> > Kirby
> >

> I'm not quite getting your point - or your analogy ('tail wagging dog') is
> inapt.
>
> Elementary school students 'learn new things' that they do not know to
> begin with.
>
> High school students 'learn new things' that they do not know to begin
> with.
>
> GSC

May I presume you know "wagging the dog" is an American idiom?

I'm not sure if it ever spread to "proper English".

In any case, my point at the time was, given RH and I agree on the nuts and
bolts as long as I'm not cramming CS down the throats of unwitting
11-year-olds and stick to offering for-math-credit electives to
post-Algrebra students, we're good (in rough paraphrase) i.e. we're on the
same side.

RH calls what I'm wanting to do as "bringing CS into math class" (CS =
computer science) and that sparked a long thread with JN etc.,
vicariously involving Donald Knuth et al, as to whether CS is "mathy enough"
to warrant inclusion or should the current policy of CS != Math segregation
be maintained? (!= meaning "not equal").

In my own case, my work as a high powered lobbyist appears to be done, at
least as far as the home-schoolers are concerned.[1] The law has been
passed. I'm not needing to micro-manage, as long as parents know the law
-- we have great lawyers among the home schooling.

Or *at least* I can say the *idea* of getting "math credit for CS (as RH
thinks of it) is sort of out there, in states that have said AP CS counts
as "advanced math". That's not my position though. As a voter / taxpayer
etc., vs. an unregistered lobbyist [2], I'd say it's "workaday math" that I
want to boost, no need to call it advanced or spin it in that way.

However, since what I want to offer is a *smattering* of courses, even a
whole "track", I'm not too worried about it. Sounds like we're well on the
way. Some of "my" courses may fit the "advanced" criterion. Others, like
stats, will just be really useful courses of study that will help you in
your STEAM-ahead career.

Whether CS is really a branch of math or not or whatnot, involves buying
into a lot of so-called "higher academic cruft". Its not clear Silicon
Forest will be buying into all that. Oregon has an only weakly funded
higher ed culture. Plus we have plenty of PhDs etc. in the so-called
"private sector".

Through public / private partnerships, Cascadia has less need of USG's
guidance / advice than Beltway-funded states i.e we can short circuit the
round-trip of funds to DC, which get skimmed for Drug / Drone Wars etc.,
which is bad for our economy (even though we make civilian-brand drones, or
would like to make more -- just not for the uber-cowards).

Kirby

[1] http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9407106 (laws have
passed)

[2] http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9405786 (unregistered

[...]
[...]
[...]