Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Structured Programming

On Mar 10, 2014, at 2:21 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> R Hansen:
>> This field is more like the music industry and probably should be treated as such in school.
>
> OK. I'll fall for your silly bait. What are your chart topping tunes?

I was thinking more in terms of talent, performance and even stardom. The last 30+ years has been dominated by software startups, so where would we even start with such a list? PCs? The internet? The web? CGI? Video games? Security? Robotics? I was likening it to music because from what I can tell by the admission standards for music college, first and foremost, you need to be a musician. That still is the formula for programming school as well. You really need to be a programmer, first. Nonetheless, the political forces have been busy trying to find a way past that, as they did with mathematics. A way to get more students who aren?t programmers into programming college. This is hard to do with programming because of the element of performance. For example, even if you could enter music college lacking musical talent, you wouldn?t stay. Not only would your lack of ability surface every time your fellow students picked up their instruments, but you would be on the outside of !
all their extra curricular activities, like writing songs and forming bands. This is what I mean by the *element of performance*. But the political forces have a strategy to address this. Create programs that segregate the non-programmers from the programmers.

Haim once stated that the reason for the number of college graduates without jobs was that they had degrees in unmarketable majors like history, women studies or psychology. That is part of it, but I interviewed a lot of graduates with degrees in mathematics. I used to be more exited with the math majors than even the CS majors, because of the formal aspect that is lacking in most CS programs. I used to ask them what they liked best about mathematics. I stopped asking.

To give you an idea of the remarkable *gap* I am seeing in *math* majors, consider these two blogs by PhDs in pure mathematics?

http://blogs.cofc.edu/owensks/
http://gowers.wordpress.com

Here are some more blogs of the *second* variety.

http://qchu.wordpress.com
http://terrytao.wordpress.com
http://www.tanyakhovanova.com
http://divisbyzero.com

[...]
[...]
[...]