Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (4.1 K)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:57 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do have one major doubt left over, namely:
>
> Reference the discussions at "What math textbooks are 'CS-friendly':
> criteria?" as well as those here:
>
> I believe we simply need to understand - *effectively* (or at least,
> somewhat better than today's state, which is dismal) - just how 'better
> understanding of math by students at large' "MAY CONTRIBUTE TO" improvement
> in 'the state of CS' - and just how 'improvement in the knowledge of CS by
> students' "MAY CONTRIBUTE TO" 'enhanced understanding of math'.

For example it costs math nothing, one could say, to dwell on a mapping of
bit patterns to an alphabet, as an example of a one-to-one function. As
far as math is concerned, pair anything with anything according to a few
rules and you've got something you might call "a mapping" and maybe a
"function" if you feel so moved.

But why not leverage the moment, kill two virtual birds as they say, and
take this opportunity to talk about representing human languages in a
medium that expects only ones and zeros. They hear the cliche "computers
think in 1s and 0s" but what does that mean exactly? A math class could
explain mapping, permutation, function, ASCII, Unicode all in one go --
lets get the dots connected while we have their attention.

> I don't know enough about Cascadia and the activities there. Shall try
> and learn - my Internet connection is poor, so the efforts I make in this
> direction are doubtless inadequate.

I'd not worry about it too much. No one can expect you to be a master of
all world history as it contemporaneously unfolds. Perhaps you could
describe patterns closer to home you're aware of. To what extent would
teachers in Goa vs in the Punjab feel their curriculum had a common source
in New Delhi, or might more regional capitals have more say?

You know in vague sketch that North America experienced a recent wave of
migration from Europe to the Pacific, with an advance party led by Lewis &
Clark only some two hundred years ago. Populations were already here,
trading at a great falls, named Celilo, on the Columbia Gorge. In 1957,
those falls were submerged by a hydro-electric dam, which powers Google
today. The native populations still have some lands but nothing like the
freedoms they used to enjoy. Anyway, long history. Chinese vessels were
coming here (to our west coast) as early as 1421.

> (I presume "USG" is your acronym for "US Government"? Well, we all - in
> India as well as in the USA - do need to work out just how we should, in
> any democracy, be part of 'our government': what does government really
> mean in a democracy? Currently, in most democracies, what we do in such
> context is not much more effective than is our work on our educational
> systems. It's really a 'system problem'.

USG is a very common acronym for US Government, yes. I am by no means the
only one using it. POTUS is another.

> (As earlier noted, I still do have to learn much more about 'Cascadia').
>
> GSC

I'd suggest not worrying about Cascadia too much. It's far away.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/6/14
Read Re: Structured Programming
[...]
[...]
[...]