Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Structured Programming

Kirby Urner posted Mar 12, 2014 2:42 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9410499) - GSC's remarks interspersed:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:57 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I do have one major doubt left over, namely:
> >
> > Reference the discussions at "What math textbooks
> > are 'CS-friendly':
> > criteria?" as well as those here:
> >
> > I believe we simply need to understand -
> > *effectively* (or at least,
> > somewhat better than today's state, which is
> > dismal) - just how 'better
> > understanding of math by students at large' "MAY
> > CONTRIBUTE TO" improvement
> > in 'the state of CS' - and just how 'improvement in
> > the knowledge of CS by
> > students' "MAY CONTRIBUTE TO" 'enhanced
> > understanding of math'.
> >

> For example it costs math nothing, one could say, to
> dwell on a mapping of
> bit patterns to an alphabet, as an example of a
> one-to-one function. As
> far as math is concerned, pair anything with anything
> according to a few
> rules and you've got something you might call "a
> mapping" and maybe a
> "function" if you feel so moved.
>
> But why not leverage the moment, kill two virtual
> birds as they say, and
> take this opportunity to talk about representing
> human languages in a
> medium that expects only ones and zeros. They hear
> the cliche "computers
> think in 1s and 0s" but what does that mean exactly?
> A math class could
> explain mapping, permutation, function, ASCII,
> Unicode all in one go --
> lets get the dots connected while we have their
> attention.

I'd broadly agree that this could be a very useful development indeed. I guess you may have to convince the 'nay-sayers' by demonstrating to them that this route "WOULD CONTRIBUTE TO" more effective understanding of math by the students - and then that it "WOULD CONTRIBUTE TO" the employability of those students in the 'real world'. There'd be a fair bit of learning required by the 'authorities' (teachers and others) to bring all of this into regular practice.

You would also have to find ways to get through the hermetic seals that keep many minds safe from new ideas and knowledge ('A'). As you may have noticed, I've not enjoyed a great deal of success with 'A' thus far. I believe all other issues fade away into virtual nothingness in the face of this one.

> > I don't know enough about Cascadia and the
> > activities there. Shall try
> > and learn - my Internet connection is poor, so the

> efforts I make in this
> > direction are doubtless inadequate.
> >

> I'd not worry about it too much. No one can expect
> you to be a master of
> all world history as it contemporaneously unfolds.
> Perhaps you could
> describe patterns closer to home you're aware of. To
> what extent would
> teachers in Goa vs in the Punjab feel their
> curriculum had a common source
> in New Delhi, or might more regional capitals have
> more say?
>
> You know in vague sketch that North America
> experience a recent wave of
> migration from Europe to the Pacific, with an advance
> party led by Lewis &
> Clark only some two hundred years ago. Populations
> were already here,
> trading at a great falls, named Celilo, on the
> Columbia Gorge. In 1957,
> those falls were submerged by a hydro-electric dam,
> which powers Google
> today. The native populations still have some lands
> but nothing like the
> freedoms they used to enjoy. Anyway, long history.
> Chinese vessels were
> coming here (to our west coast) as early as 1421.

OK, I get that.

> > (I presume "USG" is your acronym for "US
> Government"? Well, we all - in
> > India as well as in the USA - do need to work out
> just how we should, in
> > any democracy, be part of 'our government': what
> >does government really
> > mean in a democracy? Currently, in most
> > democracies, what we do in such
> > context is not much more effective than is our work
> > on our educational
> > systems. It's really a 'system problem'.

> USG is a very common acronym for US Government, yes.
> I am by no means the
> only one using it. POTUS is another.

The point I wanted to make here was just that our awareness of systems more or less worldwide is dismal. (I know about 'POTUS', 'SCOTUS' and such. 'USG' was unfamiliar).

GSC

> > (As earlier not ed, I still do have to learn much
> > more about 'Cascadia').
> >
> > GSC
> >

> I'd suggest not worrying about Cascadia too much.
> It's far away.
>
> Kirby

Date Subject Author
3/6/14
[...]
[...]
[...]