Topic: What's In a Selfie?
Replies: 20   Last Post: Mar 16, 2014 10:42 PM

Richard Strausz

Re: What's In a Selfie?

> On Mar 12, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > I apologize for missing your posts where you cited
> the bloggers you admire. Would you mention one or two
> names?

> > I'm always looking for more ideas too.

> Dr. Math
> Kahn Academy
> AP Calculus Forum
>
> There have been a few others and a couple of
> curriculums like Jump math, but I?ve become pretty
> much an expert on curriculum. What I am always
> looking for are ideas on how to present the topics in
> the curriculum with neat justifications that I hadn?t
> thought of before. I don?t use the third one for
> teaching right now, but when we get there I will. As
> for the art of mathematics I use competitive exams
> like Math League for ideas. That is what I call
> ?activity?. Of course, I am teaching someone who has
> been pedagogically prepared to learn what I am
> teaching. But even if that were not true, I still
> can?t see myself giving up and seeking out these
> teacher-enjoyment activities that avoid mathematics,
> you seem to like.
>
> Bob Hansen

I wasn't familiar with Dr. Math. A quick glance yielded some good leads for further exploration. Thanks for the suggestion. I would describe my typical class of 20+ students as having some like your son and some who aren't well-prepared or motivated. I like some of Meyer's stuff - as well as others I find - when they provide questions and activities that hook the students in to help me get them to work at the math.

Richard