Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Structured Programming

I have just posted a response to Robert Hansen's (RH's) post dt. Mar 12, 2014 10:47 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9410696), not yet appeared. If it does appear, the following additions may be useful:
<snip>
Extract from RH's post:

> For example, if setting the passing score for
> a test at a particular point would result in a
> disproportionate failure rate in a protected class,
> then the passing score is lowered. Or if particular
> types of problems are more difficult for a protected
> class then they are removed. Another version, as is
> practiced in college admissions, is having two
> standards, one for class A and a different one for
> class B. All of this deemphasize many of the elements
> that are critical and crucial to these fields of
> study.

Any of the above practices are to be strongly condemned wherever they may occur.

If it is accepted that such practices are bad for the educational system(s) as well as for the students who're subject to such practice (and I believe no one really would support such practices), then it is surely the duty and responsibility of all stakeholders in the educational system to find ways to ensure that such abuses of the system are prevented (and removed wherever they do occur).

It is entirely clear that the supporters of the 'conventional educational systems' as well as the 'reformers' have no idea at all about how they should tackle the problems confronted in their systems. I have suggested practical means to ensure the removal of such condemnable practices, so as to ensure more effective education of our wards, the next generations (who will have to confront the disasters we have humans have thus far created on this planet due to our lack of understanding of the 'systems' we have ourselves created!)

I observe that neither the supporters of the 'conventional educational systems' nor the reformers have troubled to try to do the needed learning (and 'unlearning) that is required to bring about meaningful change in our educational systems.

GSC

Date Subject Author
3/6/14
Read Re: Structured Programming
[...]
[...]
[...]