Topic: Structured Programming
Replies: 103   Last Post: Mar 25, 2014 12:33 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Structured Programming

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9411389) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On Mar 13, 2014, at 12:11 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I observe that neither the supporters of the
> >'conventional educational systems' nor the reformers
> >have troubled to try to do the needed learning (and
> >'unlearning) that is required to bring about
> >meaningful change in our educational systems.

> What makes you think we haven?t given OPMS serious
> thought? Because we don?t agree with it?s premise?
>
> Bob Hansen

Well, I know that YOU, Robert Hansen, have given the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) no thought at all (about the processes or its 'premise'), because you have consistently (and 'systematically') uttered falsehoods about OPMS that demonstrate just this. (For your kind information, this is not an 'insinuation' by me, it is an 'assertion'. [I recall that you had recently, in a post to someone else, confused the two]).

To be specific, the falsehood I am drawing attention to is the one that "OPMS is list-making and nothing else!" - when the merest glance at the OPMS documentation would have shown that OPMS is MUCH more than "list-making". This is a lie that you (along with Haim [who is alas no longer with us]) had been systematically promoting for several years here at Math-teach.

To take this 'merest glance' at some OPMS documentation, just check out the attachments to my post heading the thread "Democracy: how to achieve it?" (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536)

Even better, a simple exercise of actually using the OPMS process on any Mission of interest would have amply demonstrated to the user that OPMS is MUCH more than the "list-making" that Robert Hansen claims it is.

(I note that Haim, who is alas no longer with us, had participated with Robert Hansen in the promotion of the above-noted falsehood).

As to why I think others here at Math-teach may not have actually used OPMS:
+++++
1. I know who has downloaded the OPMS software. A specific request has to be made to the YahooGroup "Towards Democracy", which I have to approve before the user is enabled to enter the group, download the OPMS software, etc, etc.

2. Generally, users have a number of doubts and questions they need clarified about OPMS before they actually start using it.

Math-teach participants have not sought any such clarifications.

3. ALWAYS, when the OPMS s/w is used, users come out with 'lists of elements' relevant to the Mission under consideration. ALWAYS (or at least up to now in my experience of around 200 people who've tried out OPMS), there are doubts and questions for clarification about how the elements should be worded.

Math-teach participants have not sought any such clarifications.

4. ALWAYS, when the OPMS s/w is used, users find some difficulties in 'interpreting' the models they have made, and some clarification is required here.

Math-teach participants have not sought any such clarifications.

5. ALWAYS, when the OPMS s/w is used, users find they need to be guided as to "what to do next" at various stages of the development of their OPMS relative to their Mission.

Math-teach participants have not sought any such 'what-to-do-next' guidance.

6. If Math-teach participants had actually used OPMS on any Mission, they would have reported the progress (or lack of progress) they have made on accomplishing their Mission. Such has ALWAYS been the case with all who have actually used OPMS.
+++++

I should clearly note that NONE of the participants at Math-teach - except for Robert Hansen and Haim (who is alas no longer with us) - has EVER tried to promote falsehoods about OPMS! They may not have been interested enough to use it in practice - but they have not told lies about it. (If they've not used it, then obviously I have to do something more and better to get them to try it out). This fact - that ONLY Robert Hansen and Haim at Math-teach told lies about OPMS - must mean something quite significant.

Further, it may be observed that the issue was, originally, NOT about OPMS at all. What I had written in the post to which RH is responding was:

> > I observe that neither the supporters of the
> >'conventional educational systems' nor the reformers
> >have troubled to try to do the needed learning (and
> >'unlearning) that is required to bring about
> >meaningful change in our educational systems.

Strange, how Robert Hansen seems to find OPMS in every nook and corner - even when no mention is made of OPMS at all!

There are some complex psychological phenomena at work here, doubtless.

By the way, just for information: in your recent post at the 'Selfie' thread, you had made some boasts about your abilities with the English language. In this context, please do try and understand that there is a difference between "its" and "it's" (just as there is a difference between 'insinuation' and 'assertion'), about which you seem to be unaware.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
3/6/14
[...]
[...]
[...]